Bonfire

Word Count: 808

Integrating into a group of people who have been friends since elementary school is difficult. It also doesn't help that there are too many boys, I have no clue how they keep track. However I only need to keep track of one, he just so happens to be guarded by every single one of his friends. Crutchie's friends are extremely protective of him, especially Jack. Jack told me that if I hurt him, he will personally break every bone in my body and then I just had to go about my day.
There is no intermittent phase with his friends, you are either one of them or you are not. Despite all of the boys being protective over Crutchie, I am still included, even though Crutchie and I have only been dating for a little over a month. I didn't want to go public as soon as we did, but Crutchie couldn't help but tell a few people, and sooner than later word got out.
This is just a long-winded way of saying, that I am alone at a party with a lot of people who are unsure about me. Crutchie is nowhere to be seen and I keep getting interrogated on my way to find him. While I hopelessly search for Crutchie I can feel myself get lost in these unknown surroundings. Just as I was about to try my way back, hoping Crutchie has moved back to the main area, I hear a crash.
Opening the door at the end of the hallway to discover what made the sound, the answer is Crutchie. He is currently on the floor with a large number of hangers and fallen coats over top of him. It takes my whole being not to laugh, I can feel my throat vibrating. I make my way over to Crutchie who is comically tangled in the mess he created. Once he tells me he is okay, I burst out in a fit of giggles, while rehanging the costs.
"How did you get into that predicament," I ask in a hum.
Crutchie looks up and to the left to replicate a movie flashback while he tells the story, "It is getting dark out so I wanted to get my coat, but I got distracted. Once I settled a pop culture fight between Davey and Albert, I started my quest again. However, once I open the closet the door swings open knocking my Crutch to the side. I grab on to multiple coats to hold me up, but the attempt is pitiful. It was a crash landing but the coats did slow my fall". Crutchie's dramatic way of telling stories is one of the many reasons he caught my attention.

Once we make our way back into the living room, I notice the majority of people have left. After a quick inspection, I spot a group of people around the start of a new bonfire. One of the boys leap over the growing fire and I got scared just watching. The rowdiness and the boldness of the group intimidate me, it is enough to make me spiral. Crutchie notices this and puts his hand on my thigh to prevent it from bouncing. A second of peace goes by like we are the only people in the world, however, Crutchie wants to rejoin the group. 

The sliding glass doors quietly creeks as we close it but, our entrance was discrete enough that the boys did not notice. A small metal bench is vacant on one side of the fire, and we decide to sit there. The boys begin to talk and goof around, in the beginning, I felt incredibly out of place, but as time went on I was slowly incorporated into the group. With that being said, I still have no idea who half of the people are but, I can tell that a few of them are still unsure of me. Jack being the most prominent, I can see him stare daggers into me throughout all of our interactions. Crutchie is blissfully obvious to the aggravated exchange, even though Crutchie is not there to coach me through the social interaction, his presents does soothe me. 

Eventually, the large gathering forms smaller groups as the night go on, and the fire rises. The warmth of the fire is incredibly inviting and makes me feel at ease, with the newfound relaxation I am able to cuddle closer to Crutchie on the bench. Our conversation is brief as I can feel my consciousness fading away. I do not want this moment to stop, therefore, I fight the imminent sleep but it is a losing battle. Crutchie's hand combing my hair does not help my battle either. My breathing begins to slow as I begin to fall asleep, never wanting to leave our position. Never wanting the moment to end.