Prologue

FRANKFURT, GERMANY
March 2034

The otherwise dismal silence of the hospital corridors was tainted only by the rhythmic beeping of machinery, hollow chirps that signaled that whoever was hooked up to its source was still alive. Window curtains were cast shut in an attempt to block out the golden hues of the sun. Those being treated within the facilities grimaced at any source of light or any warm touch, although their own foreheads were beaded with sweat from constant fevers.

The Geissler Hospital of Frankfurt used to hold a barrage of patients; at the height of the global pandemic, it was one of the top hospitals of the country. The most talented and brilliant doctors were hired to help treat those afflicted by the virus— a plague that attacked the respiratory system and ultimately placed its victims into a vegetative state. But the virus spread quickly, and soon it was difficult to contain. The number of doctors and nurses began to dwindle as more and more became infected, even when quarantines were issued.

As the years continued to pass and hope began to wane, Geissler seemed to be a final resting place for those whose treatments no longer work, and for those who would rather welcome death than spend another day in agony.

The hospital was large and foreboding. From the entrance, it spanned three floors above and housed over thirteen different departments. Immediately upon entering through the revolving silver doors, patients and physicians were greeted by the sudden odor of decay and the smell of death in the air.

Soft footsteps echoed as nurses and doctors attended to their patients. One sullen-looking nurse, her mask drawn tightly over her mouth and nose, drew a clipboard from the front desk. She peered at its contents and headed towards the right wing, glancing around for the attending physician on duty as written on her chart. By the time she had reached the children's ward, she had caught sight of the familiar arched back, his hands clasped together behind him.

"Herr Doktor," the nurse called out to the man as she approached, a lanky individual with greying hair and glasses far too large for his eyes pushed up high against the bridge of his nose. His mouth and fraying beard were covered by a mask, shielding him from the ragged breaths of the body he stood beside. The machines beeped, its constant ding mirroring the beat of the patient's heart.

"Ja, krankenschwester." Yes, nurse. Dr. Noah Waldmann replied, his gaze never wavering from the patient in front of him. A quick glance at her chart showed that her name was Sophia Roth. Her golden locks splayed out on the pillow she laid her head down on, the color drained and lacking shine. Sophia's eyes were squeezed shut and she grappled with her blankets, fisting the white material as she battled a nightmare in her head.

She couldn't have been more than twelve; it was an age that, for the many young children that came through Geissler, could only wish to reach. Dr. Waldmann frowned and reached out a gloved hand towards the child, his blue eyes shimmering underneath the fluorescent lighting. His fingers delicately smoothed a stray hair that had stuck to the child's cheek due to her perspiration.

"A few more patients have arrived, Herr Doktor," the nurse replied in hasty German, the clipboard in her hand filled with scrawls of names and charts. She nodded her head towards the hospital's entrance, just at the end of the hallway. Sure enough, the doors to the emergency room were thrust open with a sense of urgency, as paramedics in their bright orange gear heralded gurneys into the building.

Dr. Waldmann heaved a sigh and drew his hand away from the little girl, who frowned at the sudden absence of touch.

"Come along then," he gestured to the young nurse. With a final look towards the sleeping girl, he stepped away from her bedside and moved to examine Geissler's latest patients.

---

Sophia couldn't remember the last time she could breathe normally. There were a lot of things she couldn't remember— like the soft tinkle of her mother's laughter, or the blue of her father's eyes. She couldn't remember how long it had been since she was wheeled away from her parents, her vision blurry as she struggled to keep conscious, her breathing ragged because every breath felt like a sharp pain to the chest.

She coughed, a violent attack that caused the machine beside her to beep alarmingly fast. Sophia was tired. She was so unbelievably tired.

"Mama, Papa." Her voice was a quiet whisper. She coughed again, even more violently than before. Her arms began tingling, and she realized with horror that she could no longer move her fingers. A nurse nearby quickly took notice and ushered herself over to Sophia's bedside.

"Are you okay, child?" the nurse asked gently. Sophia shook her head vehemently. Her arms began to burn and the stinging feeling started to crawl downwards on her body, towards her torso. "My God!"

The nurse glanced down in horror to see angry red patches sporadically growing over Sophia's arms, its crimson color apparent against the paleness of the little girl's skin. The nurse couldn't recognize the pattern of the rash, for it was spreading too quickly and too largely. By the time the nurse could yell for assistance, the ruby coloring had coated the entirety of Sophia's body and began to bubble on the surface of her skin.

Sophia screamed— it was a bloodcurdling cry that echoed through Geissler's halls.

"Help!" she yelled, tears streaming down her face. Though her throat hurt as she screamed, the pain was nothing compared to the burning sensation she felt throughout her body. "Please! Help me! It hurts! It hurts!"

"She's burning up!" the nurse exclaimed as Dr. Waldmann skittered to a stop beside her. His eyes were wide in shock and disbelief, his ears ringing with the shrill cries of his patient. He placed a gloved hand against Sophie's forehead and pulled back almost immediately. It felt as if he had placed his hands on top of an active stove.

"What the—" he stammered. Sophia's eyes widened and she let out another painful screech as her arms began to contort, her body collapsing in on itself. Her screams morphed into something that sounded like a guttural roar, until it morphed into growls that sounded inhumane.

Dr. Waldmann could only stare in horror as Sophia's inflamed skin turned into a stark gray color, and her spine bent so that she was hunchbacked. Her eyes changed from its soft blue to a startling pitch black color.

"Call the Bundespolizei." Dr. Waldmann gripped the lapels of the nurse beside him roughly. He could feel her shaking through her scrubs, or was it him who was shaking. "Call them now!"

Releasing his grip, the nurse stifled a sob and ran towards the front desk to call the police. Dr. Waldmann returned his gaze to Sophia, but was immediately grabbed by the neck. His eyes bulged as he struggled for air, clawing at Sophia's vice-grip.

The little girl— the monster— had taken its full form. Two more eyes had grown above her pitch black orbs and she smiled dangerously to show three rows filled with razor sharp teeth. The machine beside her alerted a final beep before flatlining completely.

She was dead.

But by the strength of her grip around Dr. Waldmann's throat, she was anything but. The doctor clawed feebly against his attacker, sweat dripping down the sides of his face. The disease had grown into something far, far more deadly than a simple influenza. No, this was the start of an era far more tragic.

Sophia sniffed, her eyes shimmering with hunger.

Dr. Waldmann could only scream once before her teeth clamped down firmly on his neck. 

--- 

Author's Note: Hi, everyone! This story is actually based on some re-occurring nightmares I've been having due to the current pandemic situation. Though there are similarities between the virus mentioned in the story and COVID-19, I can assure you that we will not be turning into zombies after 10 years, haha. 

I've always wanted to write an action-thriller novel and was inspired by my nightmares as well as fascinated by ideas of the undead. Sunsets on the East will be a sort of science fiction, apocalyptic story that will hopefully have you at the edge of your seats. Any and all feedback is appreciated and I hope you stayed tuned and enjoy the story! 

- Isabelle