Arthur Parker

Arthur Parker woke early to the sound of the restless sea. It was always easy to tell when it was high tide by the more boisterous waves crashing on the sand closer to the boardwalk directly across from his windows.  It was indeed high tide at this early hour.  This morning the sea was cobalt blue satin; other mornings it was akin to gun metal gray and menacing.  He thought to himself, "I will miss this."

Before setting foot outside his bedchamber he called for his morning tea, which also included a glass of red wine, that his able and attentive assistant brought straight away. 

As he stretched and rummaged around for slippers he was sure he left at the edge of his bed, the tallying of his day began like the precise workings of a clock. This was the day that he would make the move to his new home. Although his guest venue had been in service for weeks, he was just now ready to make the move to his new residence. His mind began clicking along reviewing the many details of the move, and of course, the wedding breakfast set for his new home's patio.

Later that morning Arthur stood in the doorway, surveying the courtyard and gardens making certain that all was in proper order for the forthcoming day.  It did appear to be ready for the expected guests, and with perfect weather in the forecast. 

He smiled to himself as he recalled the heady moment when he took ownership of the Parker family home.  Tom, as the eldest male, inherited the home where they had been born and brought up, just shy of two miles from Sanditon. It was set in a beautiful little valley with woods and gardens surrounding.  No one could have anticipated the future of that property when Arthur signed over a large part of his inheritance to acquire title. 

Tom, forever needing more capital for his next great scheme was not easily convinced of the wisdom of selling the estate to Arthur—although under pressure from Mary and Sidney, finally relented because after all, it would stay in the family. 

Arthur had set about revisioning the home to accommodate his living quarters and also the visitor venue he intended to develop. With the help and enthusiasm of his sister-in-law, Charlotte Parker, the home she had occupied and loved the first two years of her marriage to his brother Sidney, was redrawn to Arthur's exacting proposal.  The outdoor courtyard was a new concept—and Arthur's vision was to bring to Sanditon something akin to the outdoor cafes of France, with tables set in charming linens and sheltered by colorful umbrellas. Visitors loved it. It was completely unexpected in Sanditon.

The spacious family kitchen was redesigned by Charlotte to prepare large meals fit for royalty—or Arthur's guests as the case may be.  His man, Riley, had been brilliant in securing the services of a top chef from London for the season.

Arthur also managed  Sanditon's bathing machines and spa at the insistence of his brothers Tom and Sidney. It was a perfect complement to his new venture hosting wedding parties and managing the breakfast that always follows the actual nuptials at the church. This was a very new concept around weddings—not really done widely—so Arthur saw himself on the cutting edge of wedding planning, and indeed he was. After assisting with his sister's wedding, which some thought was unusual, he knew he had found a new path for himself.

Arthur was in his glory greeting his guests and entertaining them with stories of Sanditon and the generations of the Parker family at whose tables they were dining. As his usual cheerful self, guests were regaled with his stories, and put at ease, enjoying their time at Arthur Parker's.

The park grounds were landscaped with flowering trees and shrubs that emitted the most heady fragrance in summer, and fashionable guests enjoyed the natural pastoral beauty of the place. Arthur could be seen meandering through the park, sometimes with his doting nieces and nephews in tow, other times walking in deep conversation with his assistant, Riley.

On occasion he could be seen astride his horse, which he named Denham.   The horse's name caused a bit of a stir, especially with Sir Edward Denham, but as Arthur explained, the mare was named Lady Denham, not Edward. He enjoyed a good chuckle at Edward's expense.

Diana more than anyone was surprised at the way Arthur began ordering his life.  She had been gravely mistaken that he would not fare well without her continual oversight—and surprisingly, he had found very little use of Dr. Fuchs' services. He appeared to be in top health!  "He even refers to himself as Captain Parker! Where did such a foolish notion come from?" she often thought to herself.

As Arthur continued to admire the courtyard, basking in the sunshine, his brother came riding over the hill.  Arthur smiled in greeting his brother, "Sidney, come, let us sit outdoors where we can enjoy the sunshine and I will call for tea."

"Arthur, you are looking well—everything looks ready for your wedding guests today. You have proved to be a surprise to many; however, not to me.  I always believed you had real strength lurking below your ailments," Sidney said with a smile as he and Arthur took a seat at one of the elaborately prepared tables.

"So, Sidney, surely you didn't come all this way to congratulate me on preparing for today's event—do you have something else on your mind?" (This direct approach was something new that Arthur found empowering.)

"Right. I came to see if you have time for a chat. There are rumors circulating in town that I think you should be made aware of. And, Arthur, I hope you know that I would prefer to hear the truth from you, if there is any truth in it." Sidney smiled ruefully knowing he would have to elaborate on what the rumors were.

"Are you going to tell me what the rumors are or shall I tell you?" Arthur asked. He was not as naïve or obtuse as some would like to think he was.

"Well, yes.  You know what the Buggery Act is, Arthur?"

"Of course. I am aware of the laws regarding homosexuality, and the punishment of hanging until dead. England is still in the Dark Ages... Why?"

"You were going to tell me what the rumors are.  Well?"

"Sidney, I know my lack of interest in women in general and marriage in particular has caused suspicion and questions from time to time.  With my assistant, Riley, I am guessing rumors are flying that our relationship is more than work."

"Yes, that is exactly what is being rumored," Sidney said, looking directly at Arthur.

"What if I was to tell you that they are true," Arthur asked watching for Sidney's reaction.

"I would say that your life is your own. Companionship and happiness are the right of everyone,  if it can be found."

"Well, just so you know, Sidney, Riley is as I am—content within himself and not interested in the kind of emotional entanglement that marriage can bring.  We make a good team. There are probably more like me than the world will recognize because it is not commonly understood—of course if you ask Mr. Hankins he will go on and on about eunuchs in the Bible," Arthur said with a laugh.

Sidney smiled, sat back and with a deep sigh, looked steadily at Arthur who had managed to not answer the rumors directly.

Sidney and Arthur finished their tea with friendly banter and news of Sidney's family. As the time came for Arthur to continue preparing for his day, they  rose from the table, and with a brotherly embrace, said good day.

Arthur, with his usual cheerful smile and friendly wave watched  Sidney as he mounted his horse and began the short ride to return to Sanditon and his home, children and lovely wife.

Arthur turned back to his preparations for the day, and with a deep sigh, knew that in some ways he would always be misunderstood, but that it will never be allowed to darken his days—or Riley's. 

He broke out in a happy smile knowing, after all, that he is Captain Arthur Parker, in full control!