Chapter Nine: Flaming Palms

⚠️⚠️TW: Mentions of Physical/Verbal Abuse⚠️⚠️I knew he had something malicious planned as soon as he approached me that night

I knew he had something malicious planned as soon as he approached me that night. Fuyumi, Natsuo, and I had just returned home from our outing that day. My brother had excused himself to resume studying for the upcoming midterms he had at his university, while Fuyumi went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. Before I could offer my assistance to her, my father opened the door to his office, our eyes meeting almost instantly, void of feeling.
"Shoto, could I speak to you for a moment," he said. Though it was a question, I knew he wasn't asking, he was ordering that I join him.
Reluctantly, I stepped into his office and took a seat on the stiff, leathered couch placed in the corner of the room. Once the door had closed, we were encased in uneasy silence, only the deep thuds of his footsteps making their way to his dark, wooden desk. I sat quietly with my hands placed in my lap, not looking up at him.
"I would first like to apologize to you for my...irrational behavior the other night. I had a rather stressful day and acted selfishly...," he started.
"I don't think I'm the one you need to kiss up to," I interrupted. I saw a look of anger cross his face for a split second before he took a deep breath.
"Yes, yes, I planned to apologize to all of you, but there are more pressing matters I wish to discuss. It's about our training sessions."
I let out a humorless laugh at his statement.
"Of course you would be worried about that, wouldn't you?"
"Shoto! I will not tolerate this tone of yours! This is a serious topic that I feel we must discuss. I'm willing to compromise a beneficiary training schedule with you that meets your liking. I understand that a daily session might have been too strenuous for your health which is—"
"You think that you can just forget everything you've done to me without any compensation? How idiotic do you have to be to think that I would so easily forgive you? After years of this 'training' you forced me through, you think I would just forget all the pain you've caused me?"
"Shoto..." he growled, looking down at his desk.
"All the trauma?"
"Listen to me, Shoto," he said through gritted teeth, a wave of raw anger tinged his words.
"If only you hadn't sent mother off because of your own selfishness."
"ENOUGH! You know nothing of your mother and me, you wretched boy," he yelled, standing from his chair, pushing the desk angrily as he did. "If it wasn't for you, your mother would have never been pushed that far. She wouldn't have become so ill if you hadn't existed."
As he spoke, he continued to bring himself closer to me, soon enough, my back made contact with the wall, trapping me.
"Now you stand there and defy me because of the trouble you caused? And when I try to give you everything for the perfect future, no matter the problems you've put me in, all you do is complain about how mistreated you are," he spat, now only a couple of feet from my face.
"You are the demise of my existence, Shoto," he whispered despicably.
Before I could protest, he emitted a powerful blow to my chest, launching me through the wall. It felt as though my lungs had collapsed in on themselves, as though the very blood that coursed through my veins had turned to burning lava, as though my bones had splintered in half. The deafening sound of the fracturing wall around me was enough to cause a significant pang in my head. I was soon met with the harsh coolness of the marbled hallway floors, knocking the air out of my chest from the impact. I lied there, gasping for oxygen before I felt the warmth of blood running down my face; though, I didn't know where it was spewing from.
Once the dust had settled around me, my father's figure emerged from his now ruined office. He took a step forward, placing a heavy foot on my ankle, assuring that there would be a bruise later on. I felt weak in this situation as my father loomed over me as I was sprawled pitifully across the floor, bleeding, and gasping for breath. I heard the rushed footsteps of my siblings coming to investigate the cause of the disturbance. The hot feeling of tears pricked my eyes at the thought of them seeing me like this.
I knew I hadn't much more strength left in me, yet I knew something needed to be done. Something that should have been done a long time ago.
Shakily raising my left hand, I emitted a powerful explosion of flames directly towards his torso while simultaneously forming an icy wall, barricading my siblings from the sight. The continuous stream of fire caught him off guard for a moment as he lost his footing, leaving enough time for me to stand and give the better aim of my quirk directly to his face. As I completed the wall of ice, I moved on to trap my father in a capsule of thick ice to prevent his immediate escape. Frost had come to form along my arms and face, luckily causing the bleeding to stop, yet signaling the nearing end of my quirks limit.
The muffled cries of my brother and sister coming from across the icy wall redirected my attention from harming the man in front of me any further. Assessing my surroundings, I knew I couldn't be there any longer. Shuffling my way over to the sound of my siblings, I placed a shaky, frosted hand to the ice before speaking.
"I'm sorry," is all I uttered to them before I limped to the back door, unlocking the knob and painfully running away.
Away from my home. The only memory of my mother.
Away from my brother and sister. The closest friends I had.
Away from life as I knew it.

***