Prologue

Flames flickered in the dim lighting of the metal room.  Uncle Iroh took a deep breath and slowly closed his eyes. He liked when he had the time to sit and reflect upon his thoughts, it was calming. Uncle's mind wandered from thing to thing like the Water Tribe girl who told the Fire Nation how many water benders were left in her southern tribe. Uncle almost laughed at the thought, she had been so naive to think that his brother would spare her when he was done. She had pleaded for mercy, but of course that didn't come.

Then Uncle Iroh's mind switched to a more familiar and comfortable subject,  his nephew. He loved the boy as if he were his own son, but he wasn't. Uncle's son had died in the Siege of Ba Sing Se, he tried not to remember that.

He opened his eyes and took a sip of the hot Ginseng tea that rested on the low metal table in front of him and allowed more thoughts to come into his head. The next one he vowed not to ever tell his nephew, he knew if Prince Zuko ever found this out he wouldblow a whole through his own head.

Maybe, Uncle thought, it's better for Zuko to be banished then he won't have to adopt the toxic ways of his fa-

The door burst open, the light disturbing the dark peace of Iroh's room.

"Yes, Prince Zuko." he said with a calm sigh.

"Uncle, we've found a lead to the avatar's location."

"Good." Uncle yawned, "Alert me when you find him. I will be taking a much needed nap."

Zuko made a noise that sounded like one of frustration then closed the door, leaving Uncle to his thoughts once more.