Chapter 25

Chapter 25

I stopped dead in my tracks. My lips were frozen with disbelief. Gustavo rushed forward with his hands up. “It wasn’t my idea, I swear.”

            I suddenly found my voice again. “Why are you here?” I asked through clenched teeth.

            “I was just about to ask you the same thing,” he said.

            I laughed a short “Ha!” My feelings were all over the place I wasn’t sure what to do. “Get out, now!” I whisper-shouted. “You’ve caused enough trouble already.”

            He shrugged his shoulders. “It’s not my fault you didn’t tell your boyfriend about me.”

            “You’re not something worth talking about,” I said. “Anyway, don’t act all innocent. You knew exactly what you were doing when you showed your face. Now leave before he see’s you.” I tried to make my tone as demanding as possible. I couldn’t help it as I turned to Gustavo accusingly. “You brought him here?”

            Gustavo quickly shook his head as he tried to explain. “Your parents cornered me on the way out.”

            I nodded. “Don’t make me repeat myself,” I said to Ky. “Leave.”

            “Sure. No problem,” he said. “But you’re coming with us.”

            I scoffed in disbelief. “Excuse me?”

            “We’re talking you home,” he said carefully.

            “Who are you again?” I asked. “Oh, that’s right. You’re a guest in my home.”

            He gave me a half-smile. “And you’re not a very good hostess.”

            “I’m sixteen, remember?” I said mockingly. “Or I will be soon.”

            Gustavo cut in. “Your mother spoke with your father and they’re not exactly happy about you wanting to spend the night here, but . . .” I opened my mouth to say something but he beat me to it. “ . . . I gave them my word that you were in good hands. I brought you a change of clothes.” He nodded his head at the couch where I realized a duffel bag was sitting.

            “You’re not serious, are you?” Ky said bewildered.

            Gustavo shot him a menacing look. “Look, I only brought you because I was told to by Amber’s parents, otherwise, if it were up to me, I would be dumping you on the side of the road. Don’t get involved in things you don’t understand.”

            Ky looked dumbfounded by Gustavo’s words but any sign of previous discomfort was wiped away and replaced by a calm, cool expression. He gave a half-smile and shrugged his shoulders. “Okay. Whatever you say.” He shot me an amused look and started to follow Gustavo out of the room. I contemplated kicking him in the leg to wipe that smug look off his face when Damien came downstairs. Taylor and Dan trailing not too far behind. Damien saw me and his face lit up, and I thought everything was going to be alright, and then Ky turned around, and time took a standstill.