The Burnt Cake

*Ting Tong*

The bell rang

Nandini yelled "Coming" from the kitchen and quickly placing the beautiful Choco-Fudge cake inside the oven, rushed to receive the guests.

"Manik would feel so warm seeing his family here on his birthday." She chirped, after taking their blessings.

"We came just to brighten his smile." His Chacha Sundar replied

"And also to eat my Bhabhi Maa's super-tasty handmade cake." Manik's younger brother cooed, earning a pat from his father.

"But where is our Birthday Boy?" Shankar queried.

"Dad, he has an important meeting today, but don't worry I'll text him to come soon."

With this all the members began decorating the house for Manik's birthday while chatting together with binging on food and drinks.

*Ting Tong*

The bell rang again

Nandini's lips grew wider as soon as she opened the door "Manik, see who all have come all the way from Varanasi to surprise you."

Slightly pushing her aside, he curtly responded with a "Leave me alone."

Nandini couldn't believe her ears, but before she could utter anything he had already left for their bedroom.

'Maybe, he had a bad day at office' she thought and was walking towards the kitchen to check  on Manik's favourite Chocolate cake, just when her father-in-law walked forth,

"Nandini, where is Manik? When will he come down?"

"Dad he is a bit tired. He's gone to freshen up." She quickly covered-up, not wanting to upset anybody's mood.

Nandini rushed upstairs, "Maanik what is this? Your entire family is waiting for you." She angrily spoke barging inside their bedroom.

"Even on your birthday, you're gonna be such a spoiler?" She yanked away his bed covers and shouted, only to find Manik gazing towards the wall with blood-shot eyes and  body trembling with wrath.

"Maa...Maanik, what happened?"

Nandini was about to tap his shoulders when Manik jerked her hand away.

"G...Go away, n...no don't touch me! Go...Go"

"Maanik? It's me Nandini, your wife, are you okay? Oh God you have a fever?"

"G...Go Away...Go"

"Relax, have some water and tell me what's wrong with you? Ever since you've returned from your office, you are behaving differently."

"He...he is here" Manik stammered, fury turning his eyes into the darkest shade of red.

"Nobody is here except for us."

"K...kill hi..him"

"Who are you talking about?"

"I...I never th...thought I could ra..raise my voice against h..im."

"What voice? Against whom?"

"R..Rape"

Traces of sweat were visible on her face, "What?" she probed shaking.

She had grown up at an orphanage, where the owner repeatedly raped her.

Yet, she had learnt the art of disguising it behind her charming smile from everyone. Not a single soul knew about the horrors of her childhood.

"Hm"

"Whose rape?" Thoughts of Manik deserting her; a rape victim, forever, started flashing in front of her.
'No' she closed her eyes, she would not let him go.

"My rape"

"You..wh...what??"

"When I was 10, my Chachaji raped me" Manik answered staring blankly at the ceiling.

Nandini felt the floor beneath her slipping and held onto the nearby lamp-shelf to gain strength.

"For 4 years, till I requested father to admit me at a boarding school." Manik continued

"I know I can never tell this to my father and you know what? It slowly stops mattering. The pain makes you feel numb, numb enough for you to forget the very sense of it."

Nandini hugged him tightly, "I'm Sorry" she voiced between gasped exhales.

"I'm  fine."

Nandini felt a tug on her dupatta and turned around to see her little brother-in-law Mihir, she separated herself from Manik and glanced in his direction

"BhabhiMaa, BhabhiMaa, the cake has burnt" He lamented

"I..will ma..make another one Baccha." Controlling her tears she somehow replied.

When she shifted to leave, she felt another tug

"Bhabhimaa, Bhabhimaa do you have any medicine for pain?"

"A pain-killer?"

"Yes"

"Why? Did you hurt yourself while playing?" Nandini asked searching for a medication kit in her room

"No"

After rummaging through the drawers, she finally found it and carried the same over to the 10-year old.

"Where?"

"Here. It pains, when Chachaji pinches me" Mihir innocently whispered pointing between his legs.

Yes men too are abused!
Wanna know more?

It's simple

Click on the link to read more

https://think-novus.com/2020/06/14/hetoo-you-are-not-alone/

Too complicated?

Find the link attached as the first comment on the OS.

Not helping?

Click on the 'External Link' feature to visit our page, or, DM me in case nothing works.

Don't forget to vote, comment, share.

I would love to hear your views.

Happy Wattpading :)