14. Angels Of Corruption

Wallspider and Atom were amongst the agents in the briefing hall for the announcements from the agency the following morning. The briefings were designed to inform the local agents about top jobs and updates in the area in order to increase awareness for the next big thing. The meeting covered the usual topics including the missing people list.

"Sir." An agent raised his hand. "The missing vigilante, The Escapist. Isn't he an off world entity? I thought we didn't deal with those cases!"

"You are correct." The Chief responded, addressing the crowd of agents as he spoke. "In most cases, we do not. However, Escapist has had interactions with The Hangman and his group in the past. It would be of our best interest to locate him as a precautionary measure at the least."

"But The Hangman is dead!" Another agent spoke up in sudden retaliation.

"He is. But some of his accomplices are unaccounted for. We can't take any risks to the remaining few returning." The Chief continued. "This meeting is dismissed, go out there and make the world a better place." He smiled as the room began to disperse.

"Thank you Chief, we really appreciate the favour in looking for Escapist." Atom spoke as he approached the Chief who shook his hand.

"It's no problem Atom. After all, he's practically in residence here. We can't abandon someone who has provided as much help to the cause as he has. We will do everything in our power to locate and bring him home."

"We will do what we can do, if there are any leads, let us know." Wallspider spoke, smiling as the Chief put a hand on her shoulder.

"You have a good heart." He smiled warmly to her. "I have faith that we will have news for you both soon."

"We will report back anything we find too." Atom spoke with a confident tone before leaving the meeting with Wallspider.

Atom and Wallspider spent the day on patrol across the streets both looking for clues to the whereabouts of Bleach and protecting the people of the city. The day was mostly uneventful with the odd kitten or two stuck up a tree and a missing child who had gotten lost in the shopping district. The majority of a hero's work was mundane and basic however it was worth it when a hero saw the smile on the face of the civilian who needed their help. All heroes were appreciated for their work no matter how small a gesture was however the system experienced a time where it felt corrupt. Some heroes used their name to get into higher fame and fortune whilst others went the other way and eventually turned into rogue heroes. Rogue heroes would use their name to try and get around sin by claiming it was for the greater good. Common cases of rogue heroes would relate to theft and trespassing however there had been cases of heroes going rogue and sinning further to the creation of scandals beyond belief. Some rogue heroes abused their fanbase in the process by preying on their adoration and support. A hero could also be classed as rogue if they were manipulated or brainwashed with lasting effects – they may not have had control of their actions however they would still be held accountable, especially if they were licenced under an agency. Perhaps it was this rogue hero theory which made the Chief take on the missing persons case for Bleach's disappearance as his connection to the agency as Escapist was more or less an official agreement – no matter how unofficial it was.

The door to Bleach's room opened once more with Ace stood in the doorway, he watched as Bleach stood to attention and walked over to him with a blank stare.

"Are you all set? It's time to get moving." Ace spoke with a knowing smile.

"If I said no you would still make me go." Bleach responded in a dry tone, his throat burning from the sleepless night of tears.