Chapter 34

Ryder

"Is there a reason as to why you're still sitting here and not going after her?" Devon asked.

"What was I supposed to do?" I snapped. "She's not my girlfriend."

"Ryder, if she remembers anything...we're all in trouble. Especially you. I know I'm the last person you want to hear this from, but your past is catching up to you."

"...How? I haven't done anything to her. Except for recently and she already fixed that problem on her own."

Devon sighed and got up from his seat. He walked around his desk to the bookshelf he had on display. I know he hasn't even picked up one of the books. They had to be fake. The warehouse is much bigger than it looks. If Devon's office seems small, then the room behind the bookcase is much bigger. Then I heard the beeping from a keypad. I knew it.

"Come on, idiot," he said. "There's so much you need to catch up on."

"Zach was over at my house yesterday," I said. "He didn't think he'd believe you had really fired me."

"I know."

"You know? Did you bug my house..."

"Of course not. Ren's father would have known the moment he walked into the house some days ago."

"I thought you didn't know any of his whereabouts..."

Devon only shrugged and pushed the bookcase aside. I stood up and followed him closely. I couldn't have him leaving me behind. We walked for a little then he opened another door I would have walked into if he hadn't backed up. We stepped in and I saw something I hadn't wanted to see in all my years of being here. It made me sick to my stomach and there was no backing out now.

"Mr. Woo?" I asked in disbelief and disgust. "What are you doing here?"

"I was hoping I could catch a ride with you to Italy," he said. "My private plane is waiting."

"Why Italy?"

"My son is there. He's in need of help and right now, it's you I trust."

"What about Zachary?"

Mr. Woo sighed and crossed his arms. I knew how he felt about Zachary. I didn't even have to guess.

"Right now...he's probably ruining what I fought so hard to make happen. Cynthia isn't going to wait any longer to take the throne. With or without Youngmin, she's going to take what she thinks is rightfully hers."

"What are we going to do about that? She has no one who is willing to fight her for it."

"I know a person."

"You do?"

"You know her, too. If you're able to convince her to go to Italy with you...we might be able to challenge Cynthia's birthright and get Youngmin into the position he belongs in."

I thought for a moment. I really liked Cynthia. I liked everything she stood for. The fact that I lost my chance to marry her to a foreigner wasn't helping this situation one bit. If Cynthia was going through all of this right now she would have called me. I wouldn't have met Mr. Woo here like this.

"Cynthia is also the type to keep her problems to herself," he spoke up. "Devon, would you give us a moment?"

Devon looked at me and I nodded. I wasn't scared of him. Never had been. After not seeing him for more than six years, I built up a tolerance to weak people. He was being weak now. Devon left the room and closed the door. His footsteps faded back towards his office.