Prologue 1

A lot can happen in a lifetime, even if it's short.

My name is Kayla, or it was in my other life.

I hardly went to school because I was always at the hospital. That's why I took online classes, although it wasn't the same, I still got used to it.

My mother had to work two shifts because of the hospital's bills. Therefore, she could only visit me on the weekends and would tell me stories about how my dad died being a hero.

My dad died rescuing people from a fire, or at least that was what she told me, although years later I found out that it was a white lie.

My father met my mother when they were young. They dated while they were in highs school and when they finished college, my father proposed.

My father was from a very rich family so his family didn't accept him marrying a poor woman.

She was victim of their schemes and my father alone wasn't able to protect her from them.

When my mother found out she was pregnant, she decided to flee and moved far away because she feared that if my fathers family found out, they would want to get rid of me.

I learned the truth when I heard mother talking outside my hospital room with someone on the phone.

I peeked from the door and saw her on the hallway but she looked very anxious and sad.

Turns out my father had already married but she couldn't do anything about it, their love was long gone anyway, or so she thought.

I heard my mother mention a man named Jeffrey, the other person on the phone told her he married a few years ago and already had a son. I assumed she was talking about my father because she was about to cry, although maybe that's what she needed to hear to help her move on.

When I turned 12, I was cancer free. We celebrated with the hospital staff, there was cake, balloons and we took a lot of photos.

Seeing everyone happy to celebrate with me made me cry, soon we all cried while doing a group hug.

Weeks later my mother went on dates with a doctor named John. At first, he seemed kind of intimidating and I was a bit afraid of him, but I soon got used to it.

He was actually a very sweet guy. Besides, John and my mom made a great couple.

I was happy because I sometimes felt like a burden since my mother had to always work so she could pay for the hospital bills, but now that I didn't have cancer anymore, she wouldn't need to work so hard.

I am forever grateful because she never gave up on me. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have been here today.

After a few months, I went to school and made many friends. My friends from school were otakus and introduced me to the world of anime. Soon I became obsessed with it. It was like a whole new world waiting for me to discover.

When my mom and John went on dates I would be alone in my room reading mangas or watching anime.

When I went to my local library, I stumbled upon a book called <Born to be Rich>. I once heard my classmates talk about it and apparently, it was surprisingly popular.

It was about a girl named Claire, when she turned 18 her father came looking for her and took her with him. From being poor, she became the young lady from one of the richest families of Sheba city. She met the ML "Alex", second ML "Ethan" and the villain "Lucas", at the 100th anniversary of her father's company.

A lot of drama happened, after many misunderstandings and fights the main couple got their happily ever after. The second male lead looked after Claire from the shadows, meanwhile the villain disappeared and no one heard from him again, although there were theories that Jake killed him.

It's wasn't the best novel I've read but it definitely kept me busy when my mom went on her dates.

By the time I was 18 my mother had already married John and he also had a son a year older than me.

I was actually shocked when he proposed. We were actually at a carnival and when the fireworks appeared, he proposed. "Melissa, I've fallen in love with you ever since we met, would you marry me?" John said with glittering eyes. My mother obviously said yes and a lot of friends congratulated them and wished them a happy life.

I was actually very happy for my mom, she deserved to be with someone she loved and I could finally have a complete family.

I mean don't get me wrong, I love my mother and enjoyed being with her but I always longed for having a complete family.

That same day I met the person that would soon become my stepbrother.

Victor Wilson

We disliked each other at first and had a lot of arguments but when we found out that we both liked to play otome games, we quickly bonded.

Like the phrase that says birds of the same feather flock together.

We'd spend our weekends playing them all day. We eventually got grounded because we started to neglect school but that didn't stop us from playing.

Soon the novel <Born to be Rich> was made into an otome game and apparently it became very popular because everyone in the story was hot. The designers sure worked their buts off drawing these characters, specially all the new capture targets.

Being persuaded by my friends I decided to buy it. On Friday after school I went with my brother to buy it at a game store but it was sold out everywhere. The only thing different from the novel was that there were more capture targets and a hidden character which supposedly had a very difficult route.

Due to it being so popular, it became very expensive to buy since you could only buy them from other people. So I decided to get myself a partime job.

I'm sure I could have waited for the game to be restocked at stores but I couldn't risk my friends spoiling me everything.

Luckily I was 18, so it didn't take me long to get a job.

I found a flower shop that paid good and I could work part time.

I worked there for the last few weeks until I could buy the game.

<Born to be Rich> was definitely an upgrade from the book, but getting some capture targets was really frustrating. After a few days I completed all the routes, except for the hidden route.