ii. ━━ first cut is the deepest

CHAPTER TWOfirst cut is the deepest

CHAPTER TWO
first cut is the deepest.
season one, episode two.

☆ author's note ☆
i was uncomfortable with the comments
on the original version of this chapter, so i
changed cassie's arc this episode. but new
coding lore! yay! (for future reference, please
don't trauma dump, i'm not your therapist)

          "OUCH, WHAT THE FUCK!"

Cassie jumped back from the spray of ice-cold water, staring up at the shower head with unadulterated annoyance. A shiver passed through her body, and she turned the handle as far left as it could go; still, the temperature didn't change.

On the other side of the door, she could hear Derek using the sink, and rolled her eyes.

Living in his trailer sucked.

Really, she'd only been in it for two weeks, but Derek clearly wasn't fond of her stealing the covers at night, or taking thirty minute showers, or not going to bed until well past midnight. Absentmindedly, Cassie wondered if he'd made the water cold on purpose, just to get her out.

Her suspicions were confirmed when she exited the bathroom, and was immediately met with a granola bar and a stack of clean clothes shoved into her arms.

"Get ready. We're late."

"We're not late," Cassie denied, rolling her eyes at Derek and walking around the side of the bedroom divider to get changed. "My shift doesn't start for another hour, and you don't have a surgery until after 10."

Despite being unable to see him, she practically felt Derek shake his head. "You know I like to ride the ferryboats. Actually, if I remember correctly, you also like to—"

"Not at 6 in the morning, I don't."

In all honesty, she did love riding the ferryboats. But he was being annoying, which meant that she had to be even more annoying.

After getting dressed in the sweater and jeans Derek had picked out—that didn't match in the slightest, but Cassie was too impatient to change again—she walked back into the kitchen area, smiling sweetly at him as she tossed the granola bar into the trash and began to slowly make herself a bagel.

Derek watched hopelessly, before saying out loud the one thing they could actually agree on:

"You gotta move out."