Chapter Six

Thoughts of the other career tributes consume my mind as I am escorted to the second floor of the Training Center. This is the safe haven that Malo and I will live in until we are thrown into the arena. Katrina is buzzing about how wonderful we did at the tribute parade, but I feel far from wonderful. The haunting scene of my mother screaming for my help replays in my mind like a movie. The hardest part of it all is realizing that I have no control over what happens to her now, her fate is in the cold hands of our beloved leader; President Snow. Katrina's chatter eventually silences once the elevator ride comes to a halt, the doors automatically separating apart from each other. Directly in front of us, a few yards away is the entrance to our luxurious suite that everyone has been hyping up on the travel here.
     They were not wrong, it is absolutely beautiful inside, much nicer than anything I have seen back in District Two. Before today I used to believe that the Capitol and District Two were similar in status, but from what I've seen so far that is simply not true. It makes me feel mislead or manipulated, but I try to not focus on it. A large wooden dining table sits in the center of the main living area, making the room feel very inviting. It is complemented by an extravagant centerpiece that was styled similarly to the outfits that still cling to our body from the Tribute Parade. The walls are a rustic red that reminds me of the blood puddle caused by the gun wound in Sergeant Malone's temple, making me wonder if it is still sitting there or if it was left to be evaporated into the crisp air of the Capitol. The cream-colored curtains that are draped from the window are grand in presence, but the view that is encapsulated inside the windowpane is what I focus on. We are only on the second floor, but the beaming lights of the various types of Capitol transportation passing by has put me in some sort of trance.
     It takes Malo walking in between me and the window to break my concentration, "Carmen?" He says as if this was his third or fourth time calling out my name. After realizing that I had been so far lost in my thoughts to hear him the first few times I respond with, "Sorry, just taking in the beauty." This is half true, the other half is the constant remembrance of the uncertainty that revolves around my mother's well-being. Malo lets out a chuckle and then asks, "Are you not starved? Let's eat," he says, placing his hand on my back and then guiding me to the table. I usually would break away from his touch but I can not bring myself to do so at the moment, being guided feels nice with everything going on right now.
     There is an avox that is currently taking the orders of Brutus and Vivian who are sitting directly across from the seats that Malo and I choose. Avoxes are troubled citizens who broke the law and have been turned into tongueless servants to aid the Capitol. I had always felt bad for them but was told by professors that their acts of rebellion against the Capitol caused much more damage than the knives to their tongues. Katrina does not hesitate to order half the menu knowing that there is no way she will be able to consume it all. Before it is my turn to go, I overlook the golden menu that reflects the beaming light leaking out from the bulbs above. I notice that there is a seafood section and get excited because I had not had it in so long. The only time District Two got seafood was when the Capitol had an overabundance of it and only then did they share with the surrounding districts. I can remember having a delicious shrimp platter a few years back and becoming envious of those who lived in District Four, the district of fishing. Alanis and Ripley must-have meals like that all the time, they might even be able to get us a half decent meal once in the arena if we happen to get an ocean this year.
     "I'll take the shrimp platter," I tell the Avox, pointing to where it is listed on the menu. Malo orders some sort of steak, which would probably have been the smarter choice. I will still be getting protein with the shrimp but not near as much as Malo will have with the steak. They taught us to order meals that are heavy in protein while in the Capitol to result in the most muscle growth before the games begin. I catch the attention of the Avox and add an order of steamed vegetables to my plate, remembering my father telling me that an abundance of vitamins in your system will go a long way. Chrisana and Velour make their way to the table and sit on the far end of each side, Chrisana being closer to me.
     "You two did wonderful this evening," Velour says. Katrina quickly responds with, "They were more than wonderful, absolutely stunning. The entire Capitol will be on the District 2 train this year! So excited!" The thick Capitol accent in Katrina's voice can make it hard for me to take her seriously at times. However, there is an innocence that she posses, almost like she has no sense of reality, like that of a puppy who just wants to play all day. "Thank you guys, my back does hurt from carrying the whole performance," Malo teases. "Oh, shut up," I spit back and allow myself to chuckle with him.
     "Tomorrow is going to be a big day for the both of you," Brutus says, shifting his eyes back and forth from Malo and I. "Training! You will have three days of it, also an individual training session in which you will be graded on how well you do by the game makers," Vivian states. The thought of cracking under pressure during the final training session sends goosebumps all over my body that welt around my hair follicles. "Now, you two have the option to train together or apart. Vivian and I do not have a preference, but if you do then now is the time to tell us," Brutus says. Before I can even consider my options, Malo speaks up, "There is no need for us to separate. We are a team after all." A team? Something about that made me feel violated as if I had been given a destiny that I did not want. I have no issue allying with Malo, but we are not a team. I am an individual in this game, but I assure myself that Malo and I's difference in perception can only be advantageous. "Yeah, we are a team. We're in this together," I say with a forced smile.
     The mouth-watering smell of food arriving causes everyone to readjust in their chairs. The divine flavor of the shrimp leaves my tastebuds dancing and begging for more. The conversation is light and I momentarily forget about the mess that I have gotten myself into. Eventually, Brutus asks for everyone's attention before grabbing a remote that when touched displays a holographic projection. He plays what seems to be some sort of compilation of the Reaping footage from all of the districts. Lux and Silica were both volunteers, however, the District One pool of volunteers seemed low compared to previous years. I wonder why because usually they rival us back home in two for the most annual volunteers. I then watch myself getting reaped, feeling slightly embarrassed as everyone at the table claps and cheers me on. Malo is shown directly after me, causing Katrina to shuffle her way over to us and planting a kiss onto both of our cheeks. "You two are absolutely marvelous," She states with enthusiasm, as we both wipe away the golden lip mark that she left on our faces.