162 Candles

November 1st, 2009

I woke to the sound of laughter from my brothers room. I walk into the room and see Stef and Lexi sitting and chatting.

"Lex?!" I exclaim, and she jumps up and engulfs me in a hug.

"Happy Birthday Ali Rose! Now that you're here, what do you two think about accompanying me to New York for the weekend? Bon Jovi, in the garden, wanted dead or alive, It's our theme song!" She exclaims as Stefan and I both raise our fists in the air. "It'll be a blast"

"Hey, do you think that he would actually remember us? That was a pretty crazy weekend, huh?" Stefan asks rhetorically.

"We can make him remember us! Come on, let's go. I mean, what's keeping you here?" She asks.

"Elena" I state simply.

"Well let's hope she's better than the last girl you got all sprung over" She says, waving an old picture of Katherine around.

"She really isn't" I reply bluntly.

"You didn't even know Katherine" Stefan says to Lexi.

"Because if I did I'd kick her ass, the little bitch. Speaking of, where's Damon" She questions.

"Inflicting misery somewhere" Stefan responds. She hums in understanding. "Hey, you gonna be okay here? Alone? I got some things I gotta take care of."

"Well, It's not exactly like I can go anywhere. And you three the only ones with these nifty little daylight rings. I have a mood ring from '75, trade you?" She asks.

"Doesn't work that way and you know it" I chuckle as I pass them both to get ready for the day.

I had to go to the sheriff's office to be questioned about Vicki's disappearance, where I gave the same bullshit story that Damon had compelled Jeremy to believe. That Vicki cut contact with everyone and skipped town. Afterwards I left to Beacon Hills to hang with Scott and Stiles for a few hours, as was our tradition on birthdays every year.

I walk back into my house, hearing Damon talking to Lex and Stef about a party that Caroline was throwing.

"It's a party party. No one's gonna know it's your birthday. Caroline's throwing it" He states.

"Damon, stay away from Caroline" Stefan deadpans.

"We're friends. It's cool." He says with his usual level of sarcasm, before turning to me. "Happy Birthday, my dear little sister. The big 1 5 i hear, how exciting"

"Shut up, jackass" I glare at him. He's been milking this whole mortal thing since the day he found out. He laughs before turning back to Stefan.

"It's important for the town to see us out and about like normal folk. We need to blend" He says.

"We were blending just fine before you started fucking everything up" I snap, getting frustrated at him jumping between being the bad guy and the inconspicuous guy.

"Ugh" He says, looking down at the blood bags Lexi had brought. "I prefer mine at 98.6" He states before walking out of the room.

"Let's go" Lexi says to Stefan, figuring I would already be going, which she was right. "Please?" She continues after seeing his hesitance. He finally huffs and agrees.

We eventually leave for the grill after Lexi has a run in with Elena, and when we arrive, it's already full of people. I see Damon walking towards us so I quickly branch off, looking for my friends. After speaking to them for a while, I rejoin Stefan and Lexi at the pool table. Lex and I take turns versing Stefan (With me absolutely dominating him of course) Lexi then leaves to get the two of them shots of tequila, while Stefan and I continue playing. From the corner of my eye I see her run into Elena again, but I'm too far away to hear what they're saying. I then watch her down every shot she bought, in typical Lexi fashion.

"Yep, I drank yours. Sorry" She says as she makes her way back to us.

"Thank you" Stefan says to her, as he had been listening in to hers and Elena's conversation.

"You weren't supposed to be listening. I was feeling epic. Whatever" She replies.

"I hate not being able to hear things" I state, and they both chuckle.

As Stefan resets the game Elena approaches him, so Lexi and I took the time to catch up on the 14 years I was 'Missing'. We then decide to confront Damon about his intentions in Mystic Falls, using shots as a bribe.

"All right, the shots are a bribe. I need you to answer a question. What are you really doing in Mystic Falls" She asks him, and I just sit back, wondering if she'll get different results than Stefan and I.

"Have you tried the brittle? Wins awards" He attempts to deflect, which suddenly reminds me that i'm hungry, so I order a serve of curly fries.

"Cut the crap." Lexi deadpans, as Damon takes the shots.

"Okay. I have a diabolical master plan" He states.

"What's new" I mutter as I'm handed my fries.

"What is it?" Lexi questions.

"Well if i told you, it wouldn't be very diabolical, would it?" He replies.

We're then approached by the sheriff and several deputies, which I have a feeling relates to our conversation. Liz then jabs Lexi with a syringe, and I jump out of my seat.

"What do you think you're doing?" I exclaim, but am shushed by my brother. Yep. Definitely his plan.

"Thank you for the vervain" She says to him. "Now if you'll excuse me" She continues, and they drag Lexi away. Damon follows them, and I head to Stefan and Elena to help find a way out, as most exits are blocked by police. We find a back exit and turn the corner to see Sheriff Forbes shooting at Lexi, who is in full vamp mode. I move to help her, and Stefan grabs my arm and yanks me out of their view. We watch in horror as Damon appears and stakes her. I feel tears stream down my face as I watch her lifeless corpse drop to the ground. I start running home as they load her body into the car.

When I get to my room I put wards up so that no one can get in, before burying myself under the covers and sobbing. I may not have been as close to her as my twin was, but she was still one of my oldest friends. For a while I struggle to comprehend that Damon could do such a thing, but then I remember that this is exactly what he does. I eventually manage to fall asleep, not hearing the fighting from downstairs.

 I eventually manage to fall asleep, not hearing the fighting from downstairs