Chapter 2

The train ride to the Capitol was only an hour or two. I met my mentor and talked more with Maria. But mostly,  I thought of Annie.

She kissed me. I kissed her. Holy crap. I love her. Woah.

"My two tributes Huh?  District 4"  An older woman approaches us.

"We're not your tributes, we're  the Capitols. Just playing their little entertainment game. Who are you?"  I answer in a monotone voice.

She raises her eyebrows at me and shakes her head.

"You're  not just playing their game. They dont own you, unless you let them. I'm Mags , your mentor"  She replys gently, her voice old and fragile.

"Ok. Whatever. Now tell me how Im not going to die... Umm, mentor lady?"  What was this woman's name?

"You can call me Mags Mr..... "  She raises her eyebrow  at me.

"Odair. Finnick Odair"  I look at her before and open my mouth to repeat my question.

"You fight. Find your strengths and their weaknesses. And most of all,  remember where you come from,  who you represent."  She leaves me lingering on that thought as Maria  comes in to talk to her.

I roll my eyes. She's one of those people who leaves mid conversation.  I push back into my chair and groan.  Why do I care?   Oh yeah,  Annie. I wish this wasn't so hard. But for Annie,  I would do anything.  So I go back to what Mags said.  Maybe I was too hard on the old woman.

I think about my strengths. I am strong in general. Lifted weights since I was 5. I can throw and stab with a trident. And of course I can tie knots and traps,  everyone in district 4 knows how to do that. It's common knowledge  for fishing.

Who do I represent?   Obviously District 4.  Maybe Mags meant something more. I'll think tomorrow. We're almost at the Capitol.

"Finnick?  We're  here."  Mags calls me. I better apologize to her.

"Hey Mags.  Sorry about earlier. I'm just stressed about this and I don't want to be here-"  She places her hand on my cheek and smiles

"It's OK Finnick. No one does"  Her voice seems to calm me. And all the anger I usually carry disapates.  I nod and we exit the train car.

Somewhere inside me,  I really did respect Mags from the start.  It just didn't show right away. She became almost a second mother to me when I was down and having doubts.  She was a though old woman too.

Everyone in the capital seemed to know Mags.  After all,  she had been here for like.... 30, 40 years. Jeez.  People hugged her,  said their hellos, kissed her cheeks,  offered her food.... Lots of food. There was a humungo buffet table with practically every food you could think of.

"Honey ham? "  A lady shoves a plate with juicy ham bigger than my head in front of my face.  I nod and take some.

"Thanks"  The ham was heavenly.  I turn and look toward the dessert table. 

"You're Finnick, right? "  I look back and the ham woman is still there.

"Um yeah.  And you are? "  She chuckles and smiles.

"I'm Jahova. I'll be your dressing coordinater."  Her eyes glance down my body, and realizes I saw her. "Oh sorry. I'm not like that. Just getting some ideas of what you would look good in. I'm thinking some dark blue,  fishing nets. Some silver." 

I am a little creeped out. I don't want to wear fishing nets. For what anyways?  

Mags finds me and tugs my shoulder. "I see you've met Jahova. You can talk more with her later,  right now I will show you to your room. "

I wave to Jahova and follow Mags to an elevator, I think that's what she said it was called. It was like a moving door to a small room that took you throughout the building.  I loved it. Maria didn't look to thrilled though, she had been quiet almost this entire trip.

"You okay? " I turn my head to the corner she was standing in.

She shrugged, and shook her head.  Then she turned away and I knew that whatever it was,  she didn't want to say it in front of everyone else.

The room dinged and the doors opened up revealing a giant open room with two other mahogany doors. My mouth hung open and I slipped through the closing doors,  following everyone else.

"Well Finnick your room is on the right,  Maria yours is on the left.  I'll  see you guys tomorrow. Get a good nights rest. Tomorrow you start your training."  And with that Mags gives a slight wave and exits into the elevator.

"Soo... I guess I'll see you tomorrow too"  I sidestep away from Maria and

twist the door handle.

"Finnick, wait. I'm sorry I ignored you,  I just didn't want everyone else to hear."  She stares at her feet.

"Its fine. Don't worry about it. That's what thought anyways. But if you do need someone to talk to,  I'm right nextdoor"  I smile and walk into my room.

My "room" was about the size of my house back home.   There was a huge changing screen,  a 10 foot wide bed,  a giant couch and some other desks and shelves. At the opposite end there was a bathroom with expensive glass showers and ceramic sinks. It was amazing.

I take a quick shower, which by the way had automatic setting buttons, and then plop back onto my bed. 

I found that I went right to sleep and I woke up to the sound of a loud knock on the door.

"Time to get up!   Breakfast starts in 20 minutes!" 

20 minutes. I guess I can sleep another 10. I set my alarm clock and fall back to sleep.

After an additional rest of 10 minutes I jump into the fancy shower and run a comb through my hair. Finally I pull on a dopey looking suit that was left out for me.

When I ride the elevator down to breakfast I see a table where Mags and Jahova are sitting. 

"Good morning"  Jahova greets me with a smile and hands me a plate of pancakes piled high with some sausage on the side.

"Same to you. And thanks"  I load on some butter and syrup and dig into my meal.

"Where's Maria? "  Mags asks, concerned.

"I don't know. I'll run up and check on her. "  I get out of my chair and head to her room.

I gently knock on her door and listen in. 

"Maria?   Are you coming down for some breakfast?"  I hear faint sobs as I push my ear against the surface.

"No. You go ahead"  She chokes and sobs again. "I'm fine"  I hear her trying to muffle her crying.

"Can you let me in please? "  I slowly turn the handle.

"It's unlocked."  She quietly says.

I walk in and find Maria lying on her bed,  head in the pillow. Her face is red and blotchy from crying.

"Hey. Um it's OK. What's wrong?"  I sit on the corner of her bed.

"I'll never see my -family again-"  She breaks off to more crying.  "I don't stand a chance in this. I've never killed anything in my life"  She leans against my shoulder as I try to comfort her.

"I know it sucks and all. But we're in it together. We're a team,  you and me. We can beat the others."   I make an attempt at least.

There's a lot of things she could have said back to me,  like how only one of us can live,  or how there are still competitors who are stronger,  but she didn't. She just stayed silent.  So did I. We just sat there listening to her lonely,  helpless, and broken sobs that cut the silence.

I wish I could of helped her.

Hope you like this so far. Please tell me what you think in the comments!