Safe

"Wes." Hailey replied, placing her beer on a nearby table. 

"I told you that wasn't the last you'd be seeing of me." He replied arrogantly. He walked closer to her with an emphasis on the swinging of his hips. 

 The air was getting thinner and she was getting warmer, almost breaking out in to a sweat. She felt like she almost couldn't breath. The smell of his cologne making her stomach churn. Why in the world would Matt invite Wes when he knew their history. 

"What, uh, what are you doing here?" Hailey choked out her question. 

"I'm here to see you, silly." Wes was now an inch from Hailey, placing his hand on her arm. 

She went to pull away, but he already had a death grip on her. She closed her light blue eyes, wishing this was all a dream. That she had mistaken someone else for Wes. She opened her eyes slowly, coming to the very sad realization that this was not. 

"Why don't we go inside and have a little chat." Wes smiled, tugging on Hailey to follow him. She wanted to protest, but his nails were already digging in to the fragile skin of her arm, causing marks. 

"Wes," Matt said, walking away from the grill as Wes was pulling Hailey up the steps of the back porch. Concern radiating from him. 

"Hey, Matt. I'll just be a second then I'll be out of your hair." Wes yelled over his shoulder, making his way in to the house. He yanked Hailey along the width of the house to an empty room and abruptly slammed the door before he reached down and locked it. 

"Wes, please." Hailey said, trying to regain her composure. The sound of Matt calling out through the house on the other side of the door. 

"Hails, my beautiful angel. Why are you trying to deny what we know is right?" He walked closer to her, the smell of alcohol prominent on his breath. 

Hailey backed herself up against the wall. She closed her eyes, praying to the Lord to give her strength. "Wes, please let me go. You are hurting me." 

Wes tightened his grip even more, a sinful grin playing across his lips. He let go of one of her arms, sliding his hand roughly down her body. He made sure to stop at her chest and then made his way down to the button of her denim cut offs. Hailey went to use her free arm, but he caught it in time. His body pressed against hers, pinning her even harder against the wall of the bedroom they were in. Hailey tried to call out, but a large hand slapped her across the face as she did. 

There was a jiggling of the door handle, Matt calling to Hailey from the other side. 

"Care to open your mouth again?" Wes asked, nearly spitting in her face. Hailey shook her head, tears stinging the mark that was left from his hand. 

Wes grabbed Hailey by the shoulders, preparing to throw her on the full size bed behind him. 

"Wes, please stop. Please." Hailey begged, her voice cracking. 

The sound of the door being kicked open forced Wes to jerk his head away from her. Hailey felt his hands let go of her body as someone's fist met his jaw line. 

"I believe she said stop." Brantley towered over Wes, who was now laying on the bed, both hands clutching his face. 

"Coming to your little girlfriend's rescue?" Wes spat back in a mocking tone. 

"I don't need to come to her rescue. She can handle herself just fine. I'm coming to keep my promise." Brantley's gruff voice narrowed in at him. 

"And what promise is that?"

"The next time I saw you around here, I'd kill you." Brantley reached for his pistol that was tucked in the waistband of his jeans. 

"You wouldn't dare." Wes challenged, standing up to come face to face with Brantley. 

Brantley took the gun and placed the end of the barrel against Wes' forhead. Wes let his hands come to his side, swallowing hard. Hailey sat on the bed, shaking her head furiously. Brantley glanced at her, his eyes softening. He dropped his hand, the gun coming down by his side. 

"Must be your lucky day. But I promise you this. If you ever come around here again, or put your hands on her. You won't live to see the light of day." Brantley tucked the pistol in to his waistband. Matt walked passed him, grabbing Wes, throwing him out the front door a second later with a warning of calling the cops. Matt returned to the backyard to finish grilling. 

Brantley stood in silence as Hailey sobbed uncontrollably. She was able to gainher composure a couple minute later, coming to her feet. 

"Thank you." She looked in to Brantley's green eyes under his black baseball cap. Before he could reply, she walked over and hugged him tightly. He wrapped his arms around her, engulfing her in a ginormous bear hug. Hailey felt safe for the first time in a while.