The Gas Station

Another car flew by, spraying dirt all over Agatha’s overalls. She was going to kill Sophie when she saw her again.  When she had said that she didn’t want to go to Beatrix’s party, she did not mean that she wanted to be dumped in the middle of nowhere.

“Guess people aren’t as welcoming these days,” she grumbled out loud, switching the thumb she was sticking out in hopes of hitching a ride home to a middle finger. At this rate, she’d be home faster if she just walked. 

She was about to pick up her bag and start moving when a car slowed down in front of her. The driver seat’s window rolled down, revealing a guy who looked about her age with curls that could have belonged to Goldilocks. 

“Need a ride? Or were you just...uh...venting?” He asked, eyes traveling down to her hand. Agatha pulled her middle finger back in. 

“Both,” Agatha said with a sheepish grin before walking around the car and opening the passenger door. A pair of smiling grey eyes blinked back at her and immediately started talking her ear off. 

“Hey, I’m Chaddick. Is Tedros letting you tag along? Well, I don’t have any complaints, especially for a fine lady such as-”

“Chaddick. Leave the poor girl alone.” The guy in the driver’s seat- Tedros?- turned to face him. 

“Yes, your highness,” Chaddick joked, performing a fake bow. Agatha quickly slammed the door shut and slid into the back as Tedros pulled Chaddick into a headlock and the two started arguing. 

“Quite the bunch you have here,” Agatha remarked to the shy-looking red headed boy who sat beside her. 

“Yeah, they can be a handful. I’m Tristan,” he smiled. 

“Agatha,” she nodded, leaning her head against the window as the car started. She must have dozed off because when she opened her eyes again they were pulling into a gas station and the clouds had darkened. Tedros seemed to know she had woken up because he turned around in his seat.

“Hey, we’re just stopping to get some gas. I’m going in to use the bathroom but you can just stay in the car if you want,” Tedros explained. Agatha nodded and was about to go back to sleep when her stomach growled. She looked up and met Tedros’ eyes.

“I’ll come with you,” she said suddenly, opening the door and swinging her feet out of the car. She dashed into the gas station after Tedros, trying her best to stay dry among the raindrops that had started to fall.

Once inside, Agatha made a beeline for the snack aisle. After surveying her options, she picked up two chocolate bars and a packet of instant noodles. Then she stopped by the drinks for a pepsi and, after some debating, a cucumber and lemon flavored water for Sophie. The two shared a dorm and Sophie would act all dramatic if she didn’t come back with something for her as well. Agatha had just finished paying when Tedros emerged from behind her.

“You ready?” He asked. 

“Yeah, we can go back no-” Agatha was cut off as a sudden bang ricocheted through the room. She spun around wildly, looking for the source of the sound. 

“Get down!” Tedros hissed, pulling her down onto the floor. 

“Hey! What are you-” Agatha shut her mouth as she realized what was happening. A man with a gun stood in front of the entrance to the gas station store. 

This was an armed robbery, and she was stuck right in the middle of it. Agatha bit her lip and looked over at Tedros. She suddenly realized how scared he looked- his eyes were like two wide, blue saucers, and his eyebrows were creased. 

‘Of course he’s scared. He could die right now. I could die right now,’ she thought. 

Agatha felt her own eyes widen. What if she died right now and the last time she’d seen Sophie they’d been fighting? How would Sophie live without her? Agatha burrowed her face into the floor.

“Yeah, that’s right! Everyone on the floor. Now, stay there. You’re going to pretend like this never happened when I leave, alright?” The man drawled, unsteadily making his way over to the cash register. The employee who had just sold Agatha her snacks a minute ago hurriedly backed up against the wall, hands held high. The man with the gun shoved past her and ripped open the drawer of the cash register. 

A deafening silence hung in the air as customers spread out among the floor watched in dismay as the cash register was emptied and the gun was carelessly swayed around. Now that Agatha was closer to the man she could smell the overpowering scent of booze. Was he drunk? That would only make him more likely to actually shoot someone. 

Agatha closed her eyes shut and cursed inside her head. How had she ended up here? All she had wanted was to stay home instead of going to a stupid party at the other college nearby. 

Suddenly, the silence was broken by the sound of a phone call. To be exact, the sound of the female employee pressed against the wall dialing 911.  

“Oh, I really wish you hadn’t done that,” the man said loudly, waving the gun around until it pointed at the girl’s name tag- Kiko. Agatha realized in horror that Kiko was about to die, and there was nothing that she or anyone else lying on the cold gas station floor could do about it. 

Suddenly, Tedros jumped up from beside her. 

“Stop!” He yelled, waving his hands above his head. Another shot rang throughout the store.