Twenty-One

Fen sat on the left of Shan Yu while Odsar’s eldest son, Bligüün, sat on his right. Then sat Odasar’s younger daughter and the youngest child. Odsar herself sat on Fen’s left. Between Odsar and her youngest son sat the recently reunited couple, Gan and Solongo. They were all happily eating the rather tasty meal

“You survived the avalanche at the mountain,” said Gan as he looked at Fen. She nodded as she ate.
“Yes,” she said, after she had finished eating that bite. “With Shan Yu’s help, but yes, I did.”
“He mentioned you stood up to one of the men,” said Solongo with a smile on her face, as if she was proud of Fen. Fen’s eyes widened.
“Yes, I did that too. You heard that?”
Gan nodded. “It was hard not to and anyone who didn’t quickly found out,” he said, laughing a little. “It probably helped that he had his eyes ripped out by a falcon and then Odsar’s husband shot him.”

“That was your husband?” asked Fen with a small smile on her face.
Odsar smiled and nodded. “He was a brilliant archer, I’m glad he shot the man, who was it?”
“Nergüi,” said Shan Yu. He didn’t look away from his food. Maybe he didn’t like what they were talking about. She felt a little uncomfortable about it, Hayabusa had ripped the man’s eyes out in front of her and then he had been shot dead. “He deserved what he got, he knew better than to speak like that.”

“So,” said Solongo as she looked to Odsar’s children. “Sarnai and Bligüün, you cooked this?”
“Yes,” said Sarnai as she nodded. Her hair was braided and her eyes were a bright blue. “I had to remind Bilgüün not to burn it.”
“I did not!” he exclaimed. Odsar just smiled to herself. “And I was the one who remembered Uncle likes his more raw than the others.” Sarnai just pulled a face at her brother who narrowed his eyes and glared at her in return.

“I think it tastes wonderful,” said Fen with a smile. “You both did well.”
“She’s right, this tastes good, you are getting better,” said Shan Yu. He had a small smile on his face and Fen smiled a little wider.

Once they had finished eating, Shan Yu and Bilgüün disappeared into nature for a walk. He had mentioned earlier that he had wanted to talk to the elder son. Fen still had no idea what Odsar’s other three children were called. Only two of them were now present. Bilgüün was the eldest son and apparently, the eldest daughter was married to a crippled man who made exceptional bows. Fen was rather curious to watch how he made them. There had only been a passing remark on another son, the topic of conversation had quickly changed from him.

“It has been nice meeting you and talking to you,” said Solongo with her smile.
“It has been nice talking to you as well,” said Fen as she nodded.
“We should get going,” said Gan. “We have a lot to do but it would be nice to talk another time?”
“I’d like that,” said Fen, smiling. The people here didn’t hate her as she had once feared. “See you later.”

She watched as they left the ger, leaving Fen alone with Odsar and her two youngest children. She stood and walked to the door, looking outside at the sky. There were some grey clouds covering the sun which was now starting to descend.

“They liked you,” said Sarnai as she looked up from where she was sitting on the floor of the ger. “I like you too, you’re rather nice.”
Fen smiled. “Thank you.”
“Do you like it here?” asked Odsar as she walked over to Fen.
“It’s not what I’m used to but I do like it here,” she said honestly. “It’s so different.”

“Could you tell us what it was like where you lived?” asked Sarnai, with her blue eyes wide and curious. Her younger brother nodded in agreement. Looking to Odsar for approval or something of the sort, Fen saw her shrug.
“Yes, I can,” said Fen as she walked over to Sarnai and sat down by her. “What do you want to know about?”