14. Lobster

"I have some big news," Elliott announced. It came seemingly out of nowhere as we neared the conclusion of an otherwise average afternoon walk.

"What's that?" I asked, eager for him to go on.

"Well, my novel has been out for a while, and it has done surprisingly well. It recently caught the attention of a major publishing company, and they've offered to pick it up for a second printing," he explained.

"How wonderful!"

"It is," he said hesitantly.

"That doesn't sound too convincing," I teased.

"It's nothing," he said. "I'm just a little nervous."

"That's understandable," I told him, giving his hand a light squeeze. "But the fact that you've made it this far in the first place is a pretty good sign."

"That's true," he nodded. We had reached my porch steps, and I knew he would soon be heading off to his cabin to be alone with his thoughts.

"Why don't you come back tonight, and we'll have dinner together to celebrate?" I offered. He shook his head.

"You don't have to go to all that trouble, really."

"Come on, Elliott," I encouraged. "This is a big deal."

"Well... If you insist," he shrugged.

"I'll get everything set up, you just go pick out something nice to wear," I stepped in front of him, standing on my toes to give him a light kiss goodbye. "See you tonight."

"Tonight," he agreed.

~

The match I held made a satisfying fizzle as I scraped it against the striking strip. The table was set with the best linens I could rummage up, the plates and flatware arranged neatly on either end. All I had left to do was light the long tapered candle I had placed in the center. Glancing over the place settings, I noticed a slightly crooked fork, and I eagerly corrected its position. This would be the most formal meal Elliott and I would share together, and I was determined to do it right.

There was a knock at the door, and my stomach fluttered. I glanced at the clock; he had arrived a bit earlier than expected. I checked myself in the mirror by the door one last time. My outfit was new, purchased on a recent shopping trip with Haley. It wasn't exactly what I would typically wear, but it was still nicer than most of the clothing already in my wardrobe. Taking a deep breath, I turned to answer the door.

"Hey, ____," Gus greeted. I felt relieved and a little foolish at the same time. I had almost forgotten about the food, which was a shame, because it would be quite difficult to have a dinner date without it.

"Hey, thanks for coming all the way out here," I said.

"It's no problem," he replied, passing me the takeout bag and the bottle of champagne I had requested. I stepped back inside to set them down and grab my wallet.

"So, what do I owe you?" I asked.

"That'll be 640g." I collected the money, adding a little extra for Gus' long walk to the farmhouse.

"Thanks again," I said, heading back inside.

"Have a good night," Gus called.

As quickly as I could manage, I unpacked the takeout boxes. In the time I had known him, I learned that Elliott was virtually never opposed to seafood. Upon calling down to the Stardrop Saloon to place my order, Gus informed me that he had selected lobster as the special for tonight, and it was far too good of a deal to pass up. The smell of it began to fill the room, making my mouth water as I served everything out onto the plates.