Chapter Thirty One

Please vote and comment

W4~Friday night

"This is too much, Mel." I slowly run my hands down the elegant satin material. Observing the way my body fills the dress in the black rimmed mirror is reassuring, after the weight I've put on.

"If anything, it's not enough." She walks out of the room and returns with an arm bangle and shell necklace.

"Oh hell no." I attempt to push back her hands with the items.

"Yes, they'll add something to the outfit, but still keep it subtle." She puts her hands together, begging.

"Gimme." I extend my hand out with an eyeroll. She knows that she gets what she wants in the end of the day, so what's the point of arguing.

She places the objects in my hand with a smile saying it all. I take the round bangle and slide it up my arm until it feels secure enough to let go. I'm not going to lie, she was right. It suits the outfit and matches with the colour scheme.

"You know I did something there, right?" She scrunches her face up with cheek spread across her whole smile.

I suck my teeth to keep my mouth from slipping a laugh, then hiss at her face. She continues to point and clap.

"You know I did something." She jumps around the room, proud of herself.

"Come 'ere and put it on." I switch my accent to my mothers and raise the shell necklace up.

"Ahhh. You're in denial!" She jogs up to me and takes the necklace from my hold.

"Just put the damn thing on." I insist, to which she carefully attaches the piece of jewellery around my neck with the shell sitting lower than my gold pendant.

"Done." She spins me around so that I'm facing the mirror.

"I look good." I cover my mouth with both hands. The dress hugs my curves and my makeup remains minimal but also a statement. My hair is still undone, but I have twenty minutes to do something.

"Whilst I get dressed, you better get your hair done." She heads over to the wardrobe as I sit down at the dressing table.

I start to take out each three strand twist one by one as fast as possible. God blessed me as no flakes are present, which is always a hit or miss situation for me. Once every twist is out, I pick out my hair slightly with the afro comb, trying not to destroy the curls but get rid of the partings. I grab my rat tail comb with my two fingers, re visiting the middle parting I take my time to make sure it's evident and clean enough.

My rice water has done justice to my roots. At first I had no faith in the water and believed it was an ancient myth passed down, but hell I was proven wrong.

I pull on my curls slightly to gain further length from the style.

Turning around from the chair, I rest my eyes on Mel's figure snatching outfit. She wears a yellow two piece trouser and crop top set, her eleven line is on display exposing her small side crown tattoo. Her hair is slayed in wavy curls resting past her shoulders with a natural beat face consisting of her glitter foundation.

"Woah! All the guys are going to be on top of you tonight." I gasp, checking her out. The way she always represents is not just an opinion but a fact with evidence underlined.

"I don't want a single guy on me. Tonight is for the group!" Normally, Mel would hype herself up about the guys, however tonight her response surprises me. She's never held back with her excitement of being surrounded by guys.