people pleaser...

So, they came face to face and it was anticlimactic. Who woulda thought?

Just wait for it...

When Pietro came to and realized that the Scarlet Witch had managed to escape he cursed, slamming his hands down on the hospital floor. He went to check on Natasha, shaking her awake. "Natasha, she got away."

"Damnit." Nat groaned, sitting up. She rubbed her sore head, looking at the speedster. "What was it she said to you? I didn't catch it."

"No speed, no magic. I'm not sure why though, or more accurately, what significance that has. It is just a Sokovian saying my parents used to say to me." Pietro felt a sting in his heart, harshly reminded that she killed his parents. "How she knew that I don't know."

"Well, we know she is Sokovian. Maybe her parents used to say the same thing to her?" Natasha tried to reason. "We should go check on Tony and Pepper. See how they are holding up."

The two Avengers made their way towards the couple's room after finding out where they were from a nurse, walking in silence. Pietro felt something tugging in his mind, a nagging feeling of something buried deep that he was overlooking. It felt like when a word was on the tip of his tongue but he couldn't remember what it was. It was beyond frustrating, so Pietro ignored the feeling, pushing the door open to Pepper and Tony's room.

The couple looked up, smiling weakly at the two Avengers. "Hey. Thanks for the save, Maximoff."

"Don't mention it. You would've done the same for me." Pietro pulled a chair over, straddling it and resting his chin on the back. Nat perched in the window, looking down into the streets. "How're you two feeling?"

"Like I drank liquid cement." Pepper made a disgusted face.

"Ditto." Tony sighed. "I take it Witchy got away?"

Pietro steeled his jaw as Natasha answered. "Yeah, she hit us with a blast of her powers, knocking us out. We really need to figure out how her powers work. Maybe we can counteract them somehow." Tony nodded in agreement. "Maybe you and Bruce can think up something in the lab?"

"Yeah, as soon as I get out of this place." Tony grumbled.

"Stark, you were almost assassinated, twice. Take some time to rest." Pietro scoffed, bouncing his leg restlessly. "We will find this Witch and we will handle her accordingly. She won't get away with it."

Nat and Tony looked at one another. "Come on, kid, let's get you back to the compound. Its been a day."

Pietro shoved back from the chair, standing up and bidding the couple farewell as he exited the room with Natasha. The two Avengers walked out of the hospital towards the high speed bike Natasha used to get around. Pietro reluctantly got on the back, mumbling about how he could get there faster than the bike but Natasha ignored him, revving the engine before taking off in the direction of the compound.

They arrived quickly, getting off the bike to make their way into the main part of the Avengers' base. Once inside, Natasha bid Pietro goodbye as she had to take care of some work before walking away down a hallway, leaving the youngest Avenger to go about his own business.

Pietro decided to head to the training room, finding Sam and Bucky inside. They waved a greeting at him before going back to sparring with each other. Pietro grunted, going to the other side of the training room where the training bots were. He cued up a random training sequence, walking to the middle of the bots and getting into a fighting stance.

The bots charged him and Pietro dove under their attacking arms, sweeping at their legs. He wasn't using his super speed during the exercise, deciding to take Cap's advice that perhaps he needs training with hand to hand. So he punched one of the bots in the face, sending it flying backwards.

While his body was with the training exercise, his mind was back in the hospital, thinking about the Scarlet Witch. She was so close, within his grasp, and he let her get away. And that saying, 'no speed, no magic', how did she know that? And why did that make him falter, even if only for a moment?

Pietro snarled, going to attack another bot only to find that he had defeated them all. He heaved in a deep breath, typing in another sequence before getting into position. He had a lot of aggression he had to get out and a lot of thoughts he had to untangle, and he worked best when he was moving.

Hours later Pietro left the training room, completely exhausted and still just as confused. He had not been able to figure out any answers and that frustrated him to no end. He needed to learn more about this Scarlet Witch character and he knew exactly who to ask.

Pietro found Natasha in the lounge typing on her computer. He didn't even have a chance to open his mouth before Natasha spoke. "You're here about the Scarlet Witch."

Pietro blinked. "How did you-"

"I'm that good." Natasha smirked, patting the spot on the couch next to her. Pietro sat down, looking at Nat expectantly. Nat closed her computer, turning to Pietro. "Not much is known about her, other than what we do know. She is an enigma. No one knows her true identity except her handler, who she just killed the other day. We know she is a mutant, most likely from Sokovia. She appears to be in her early twenties. And from what I have gathered, her kill count rivals Bucky's time as the Winter Soldier."

Pietro nodded. "She killed my parents, Nat."

"I know. We will get her, Pietro, don't worry." Natasha smiled reassuringly. "One way or another, we will get this Scarlet Witch."

Pietro thanked Natasha, standing up to head off to his room. He was exhausted, it had been a long day full of disappointment and confusion.

He changed into his pajamas and curled up under the covers, eyes closing as he drifted off to sleep. His dreams were full of his childhood in Sokovia when he would play in the fields outside his little town with his imaginary friend, Wanda. He used to remember her face so clearly, but now, it was a blur.

He figured that was a part of growing up, one forgets parts of their childhood that used to be important to them.