Chapter 14

Draco's POV

Today. Today would be a good day to tell her, I thought as I ate breakfast, trying to convince myself for the thousandth time that I should tell Hermione I loved her. Where had my confidence gone? Where was it when I needed it so much? I lifted my eyes and looked at her nervously. Come on, I'm a Malfoy, it shouldn't scare me so much... It was another proof that a name wouldn't help me with everything in life. If only I could have learned to deal with things normally instead of listening to what Father was telling me as a kid. Suddenly, I was distracted by someone yelling my name.

«Draco! Draco, we need your help!», Blaise shouted, running throughout the entire Great Hall to get to me.

I stared at him, waiting for him to go on with what he wanted to tell me.

«The seeker of the other team is hurt and won't be able to play the first 8th-years' quidditch match. It's today. We need someone to replace him», he said, panting.

«Wait, you want me to replace Potter?», I asked, confused, and surprised. 

«No, I want you to play against Potter», he said. My eyes widened.

«Weren't you in the same team as Potter? Why are you asking me to play against you?», I questioned, even more confused.

«The other team wanted you to replace the seeker and they asked me to ask you to play for them. They thought they would have more chances of you accepting if I asked», he explained. 

«Why me?», I asked.

«They think you're the only one who has a chance against Harry. Honestly, I agree with them. Please. I'll give you your broom back, I bought myself a new one», he begged, putting his hands together.

I turned around to look at Hermione. She raised an eyebrow and gave me a look that seemed to mean «Well... accept! What are you waiting for?». 

I returned my attention to my breakfast, sighing. 

«Only for this time», I said. 

«Oh Merlin, thanks Draco, you're the best! The match is at 2 pm. I'll give you the uniform at lunch», he said before turning away towards the exit. 

...

Hermione's POV

We were both done with our homework again, and it was a weekend, though I was a little bit sad that Draco would need to play quidditch in the afternoon. However, I was very curious to see this match. As we usually did on weekends, we both stood up after finishing breakfast and started heading towards the tree we always sat under. This time though, we had to take some warm clothes before heading outside. The cold was slowly starting to settle in. All the trees were orange, red, and yellow. Leaves were falling everywhere. 

As soon as we stepped outside, the cold hit me, making me shiver slightly. I should've taken my gloves with me... I looked at Draco. He was wearing a black autumn coat with a grey scarf that highlighted the color of his eyes. I noticed that since the end of the war, he had stopped styling his hair with gel; nevertheless, his hair was still very elegant. It just made him look more casual. His cheeks were slightly red, probably because of the cold.

«Why did it take you so long to accept when Blaise asked you to play for the other team?», I asked, genuinely curious. 

«Last time I played quidditch, it was because I asked my father to help me get in the team. It wasn't a good way to get what I wanted. I decided to just leave my place to others who would get in the team in a more honest way», he simply answered, turning his gaze to look at me.

«But you like playing quidditch, don't you? Is it really just because you feel guilty?» I questioned him.

«You were the one to tell me not to feel guilty, even though it was for something else. Though it was for something so serious that I decided not to feel guilty for such a small thing as getting in a quidditch team the wrong way», he explained.

At this point, we had already arrived at the tree we used to sit under. Our tree. Leaves were falling slowly and gracefully at our sides. Sunlight was falling on him, making his skin shine and look slightly silvery. No words existed to describe how much I loved him. 

I was surprised that he remembered that conversation. I hadn't thought that my words could have had such an impact on him.

«Why do you pay so much attention to these words?», I asked with a soft voice.

«Because I love you», he answered. 

I felt like the time had stopped. I stared in his eyes, not being able to think. Not a single thought could make its way in my mind. Or rather, all I could think of was him, standing in front of me. He turned his head away from me, making my heart hurt. I couldn't believe it. Four words. Four words that sounded like the best words I have ever heard of my entire life. Slowly, my mind started to work again. I raised my hand and gently cupped his face. He looked at me with a surprised expression. I leaned in and placed my lips on his in a light kiss, closing my eyes. He almost immediately kissed back, circling my waist with his arms. He seemed so caring... Once again, my head emptied and all I could think of was him. The softness of his lips. His warm embrace. His light touch. I was feeling happy, but it was a happiness that I had never felt before, almost like it was from another dimension. It was heavenly, timeless. I felt so safe. 

I couldn't remember who had ended the kiss, but I didn't care. We just stood there, his arms around me, my hand on his cheek, looking at each other. He smiled in a lovely way that I have never seen before. I could feel that I was smiling too. I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders. I knew that I could finally love him without being afraid that he wouldn't love me back.