Part 6: It's Happening

The Inner Circle is playing cards. Feyre is almost due.

The sky outside was a deep midnight blue and the hearth flickered with glorious warmth while the Inner Circle sat around the table playing cards. The flames casting an orange glow around the more casual of rooms. Rhys sat sprawled in his chair with his arm around Feyre's shoulders, his wine in front of him.

"You're up, Az," Morrigan inclined her head toward the shadowsinger. Azriel laid down a card as Feyre slipped out from under Rhysand's arm, his head snapping toward her.

"I'm just going to get some water. Relax, Rhys." She smiled, turning to leave. Rhys watched her go, concern gracing his beautiful features as she rounded the corner to the hallway. Azriel and Mor exchanged a look as Mor sipped from her goblet of wine. Amren stared from the corner of her eye where Feyre exited, her cards against her chest so no one could peek at them.

Cassian put down his cards. "Anyone want any more wine?" Mor shook her goblet at him. Rhys and Azriel shook their heads. "I'll be back, don't let Az win." The shadowsinger looked offended, but Morrigan just cackled. Rhys played his card as Cassian left the room.

Cassian made his way down the hallway to the kitchen when he heard a gasp. Bolting, he turned the corner, and Feyre stood there, hand braced against the wall, breathing heavily.

"Fuck, Feyre. Are you okay? Do you want me to get Rhys?" Cassian brows were furrowed together as he watched Feyre swallow before looking up at him through her eyelashes. Her other hand lay on her stomach, her jaw tense as she shook her head.

"No," she breathed, giving a little smile. "I'm good." He studied her, the concern in his eyes evident. As her breathing slowed, he spoke again.

"I was just going to get some more wine, wait here and I'll grab your water too." She nodded, turning to lean her back against the wall as he jogged off. She knew that time was growing short before the baby would come. She would often get short, sharp pains in her stomach that would cause her to double over. Thankfully Rhys had only been around for one of them, the sensitive Illyrian. It was times like this she was grateful that she knew how to keep her mental blocks up, so that he wouldn't have to find out every little thing.

But as if Rhysand knew she was thinking about him, his voice rumbled down the bond.

Are you okay?

Yes Rhys. I'm okay. I'll be back in a minute, she replied, mentally stroking the bond.

Cassian returned with the water and him and Mor's wine glasses refilled, before taking Feyre's empty hand in his to steady her as they started back down the hall. They let their hands drop before entering back into the casually set up dining room, knowing all too well the amount of theories Rhys would come up with, other than just getting touchy that another male was holding his mate's hand. Feyre smiled as she reentered, and sat down.

"See, all good, " she said warmly. His eyes roved over her face, and she kissed him on the cheek, slightly rolling her eyes and earning a snicker from Mor.

"Okay, my turn," Feyre said, glancing at Mor, who was desperately trying to cover up her smile. She played a card as Cassian returned to his seat, handing Morrigan her wine, which she took gratefully.

The night sped on, the card game became louder and more competitive as Azriel got ahead, and Amren became more aggressive. Feyre laid down her cards.

"I think I'm going to call it a night," she told them all. She smiled as she rested her hand on Rhys's shoulder to help push herself up. She looked to her mate.