Chapter Three: Up In Flames

September 18th, 2015

At work, Lyria can forget about her high school problems and issues with the new kid. Keeping secrets makes her feel uncomfortable, but she does it for fear of looking like she's out of her mind. Every day and night that passes, it gets closer to her birthday. For some reason, she's uneasy about it this year. Turning sixteen is some kind of stepping stone to all teens. To her, it feels like her world is turning upside down.

Since the beginning of her Friday, she hasn't felt like herself. She's been feeling sick since waking up this morning. Something isn't right, but Lyria can't place what it is. "Hello, welcome in," she says, not looking up towards the customer.

"Hi," a male voice says. She recognizes the deep voice and shifts her blue eyes to the raven-haired boy, Dartanian.

"How did y-"

"I need a new pair of shoes," he cuts her off before turning and heading for the men's shoes.

Lyria simply eyes him, watching what he's doing until he comes up to the counter to check out. "Aren't you fifteen?" He asks her.

"Isn't it kind of nosy to ask?" She retorts and he smirks at her, his liquid silver eyes lighting up as she checks the shoes over before scanning the barcode.

"Yes, but how do you have a job?" He asks her and she sighs.

"My parents signed a form so I could work," she explains to him, pushing her long brown hair away from her face. He hands her the change for the shoes and she quickly cashes him out and bags up the shoe box.

He takes the bag, then turns back to Lyria. "Thank you," he says and she raises her eyebrows at him, "for not outing my family. Not for cashing me out. You were kinda rude," he says and her jaw drops.

"Why do you have to be so...obstinate?" She asks and he winks at her.

"Shouldn't be rude to people," he says before leaving the store.

Luckily, it was time to close. Lyria was able to go home at nine while her boss stayed to close the store. She was picked up by her parents and went straight to her bedroom. After changing, she gets into bed, feeling a little feverish, but hoping it'll go away with some sleep.

~

As Dartanian walks home, he hears an explosion. He sees flames in the distance and runs towards them to investigate. He digs for his phone and calls Bastion. "Bastion, who lives on Lady Slipper Drive?" He asks him quickly.

"I was about to go to sleep...goodnight..."

"It's important, there's a house on fire right in front of me," Dartanian says, fully getting Bastion's attention.

"What's the number of the house?" Bastion asks him.

"Fourteen..."

There's silence on the other end before Dartanian demands for Bastion to speak. "It's Lyria's house, the Sullivan's. Don't do anything stupid! I'll be there soon," Bastion assures his friend before Dartanian hangs up and takes off his jacket and heads straight for the house.

Before he climbs into a hole of the house, Bastion's car pulls up with Fleur, Shaye and Bastion inside it. Bastion jumps out and yells for Dartanian to stop. "What in the hell are you doing?! Someone will see you. I can hear an ambulance and some fire trucks coming," Bastion says and Dartanian sighs quietly before replying.

"I'm the only one of us who can go in here. Give me five minutes...if Lyria is dead, we'll leave," he assures the three.

"Hurry up then," Shaye says and Dartanian nods before stepping inside the burning building.