Chapter 30

After the surgery was over, Ava went back up to the CT floor. 

'Hey Beth, can you pull up the schedule for today?' Ava asked Beth at the nurse station. After Emma told her about how she couldn't find anyone to help Connor in the ED. 

'There you go, Dr Bekker.' Beth pulled the record up.

Ava sat down on a chair and started reading through the record. Mia, Dr Huges and her were all in surgery when the ED asked for a CT surgeon. So she checks the resident list, one of the residents was sick and took a day off, there is only Lisa left. 

Mia walked passed Ava when she was confused. 

'Hey, Mia. Was Dr Davies with you for your valve replacement surgery?' Ava asked. 

'No, I was doing it myself.' Mia frown and said. 'What's wrong?' 

'Emma said that she couldn't find anyone to help with the surgery in the ED.' Ava explained. 

'Emma? The new nurse?' 

'Yeah.' Ava was wondering what Mia meant by that. 

'That poor girl.'  Mia signed. 

'What?' Ava was confused.

'She is an introvert and by gossiping with the other nurses, Lisa had been threatening her for a while. So, Emma basically being bully.' Mia told Ava what she heard. 'Anyway, I am page.' 

'Go, I will talk to you later.' 

After her conversation with Mia, Ava headed back to her office and she paged Emma to her office. 

*knock knock

'Come in.' Ava said. 

'Dr Bekker, you are looking for me?' Emma said quietly. 

'Yeah, Emma. Sit down.' Ava smiled at her and tried to make her feel less restricted. 

'Thank you.' Emma said down carefully. 'Dr Bekker, did I do something wrong, am I in trouble?' 

'No, Emma.' Ava said. 'But I would love to know that, earlier today when you found me for the surgery. Have you asked Dr Davies before you come to find me?' 

'I...' Emma got even more nervous. 

'Hey, I know what happened.' Ava tried to calm her down. 'I saw your record and background, you are top of your class and the patients love you. I don't think the hospital will fire a good nurse like you.' 

'Thank you.' Emma felt relief and let out a long breath. 'Yes, I did. I meant asking Dr Davies, but she turned me down.' 

'Why?' Ava asked.

'Dr Davies asked the patient situation and I gave her the information. However, Dr Davies said that I was trying to ruin her lunch...' Emma told Ava what happened. 

'Thank you for telling me these.' Ava said. 'And as long as I am here. No one can get you fired unless you did something wrong. '

'Thank you, Dr Bekker.' Emma nodded her head and went back out to work. 

After talking to Emma, Ava went outside to find Lisa. She walked around the CT floor and Lisa was nowhere to be found. So she checked the nurse station and Beth said that she saw her going down to the ED floor. Ava went down to the ED and tried to find her. 

'Oh, Dr Bekker. Miss me so soon?' Connor spotted her first. 

'Hey, Connor. Have you seen Lisa?' Ava asked. 

'No. What's up?' Connor frowned. 

'That patient we have earlier, Dr Davies turned it down when the nurse asked her to assist.' Ava explained. 

'Let me guess, the nurse told her about the case and she said it ruins her appetite?' 

'How do you know?' Ava was surprised. 

'It happened before.' Connor signed. 

*beep beep

Connor got paged. 

'Go save lives, Dr Rhodes.' Ava knew that he wanted to help but the patient always comes first. 

After Connor left, Ava kept looking for Lisa and finally, she found her reading a fashion magazine in the doctor lounge.

'Dr Davies, a word?' Ava went into the lounge. 

'Dr Bekker?' Lisa slowly put the magazine away. 'What?'

'Why did you turned down the patient earlier?' Ava asked. 

'It was my lunch hour.' Lisa said. 

'That's not a reason to turn down a dying patient.' 

'It's not like he matters. He was a homeless person and no one care if he died.' 

'Listen to yourself!' Ava got really angry about what Lisa said. 'You are a doctor.' 

'I choose CT because I never need to face anything disgusting like poop in the chest.' Lisa explained. 

Ava was speechless, she could not believe what just came out of Lisa's mouth. 

'What? I am not wrong. No one in this hospital can touch me or kick me out and you know why.' 

'Oh, your father?' Ava was provoked.

'So we do understand, also, you know I can get rid of you just like that.' Lisa smirked. 

'Ok, listen up Lisa.' Ava was furious. 'I am an attending and chief of the CT. I have a long working history and respected reputation. Also, in case you don't know, I am friends with world-class surgeons like Meredith Greys. My connection is worth so much more than your father.' 

'So what?' Lisa tried to pretend that she is calm. 

'So, I am more valuable to the hospital than you.' Ava made a final statement. 'Good luck to try getting me fired.' 

'You...' Lisa was completely defeated, so she stormed out the room. 

Ava stood on the same spot, shook her head and signed. Then she went back up to the CT floor. 

Later in the day, she got paged to the OB floor for a consult, she took Mia with her. And when she arrived she saw a friend that she hasn't seen for a long time, Kat. 

'Kat!' Ava called her name and hugged her. 'When did you come back?' 

'Couple of days ago.' Kat said. 

When Ava moved back to Chicago, Kat went back to South Africa for her brother's wedding. 

'Hey, Kat!' Mia said. 

'Hey...' Kat answered with uncertainty. She remembered seeing Mia somewhere but she doesn't really remember her name. 

'Umm... Mia?' Mia said. 'We met the other night.' 

'Oh...' Ava sensed something. 

'Mia, I remember.' Kat said. 'I didn't know you work here.' 

'Now, you know.' Mia smirked. 

Ava looked at the two of them and see the awkward exchanges between the two, she sensed something interesting...