you and me - rhodey x reader

"T, talk to me"

You were frantic. Having been on the other side of the airport when he went down, you only turned around to see the end result, Rhodey's body slamming unforgivably into the hard ground below.

"He's alive"

The tension immediately left your body, and you found yourself tugging Tony fiercely in to a hug. You felt him shaking slightly, his injury weighing heavily on both of you.

"I'm so sorry y/n - I couldn't get to him on time-"

"Tony, shush. This is not your fault, okay? Now shut up and hold my hand so I don't back out of seeing him"

Tony gave you a weak laugh, hand gripping yours tightly as you walked into the hospital room, squeezing gently as you let out a quiet gasp.

"Hey baby"

His weak voice was enough to send you into tears, letting go of Tony's hand as you (carefully) launched yourself at him, tucking your face into it's usual place in the crook of his neck. Rhodey's arms came up to hold you, rubbing soothing circles on your back as you cried, the two men having a quick conversation above your head. You were vaguely aware of Tony leaving the room as you tried to regain control of your crying.

"Im sorry" you sobbed, "I promised myself I wouldn't cry"

"It shows you care" Rhodey smiled, hands reaching up to cup your cheeks, dislodging you from your current position and moving you so that the two of you were face to face, "I can't say I wasn't expecting at least a few"

"Asshole"

He just hummed at the affectionate insult, fingers gently swiping away the tears that marked your cheeks. You giggled wryly at his caring gestures, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

"I think you missed" he said cheekily, pouting his lips.

Rolling your eyes, you leant in to press a kiss to his lips. It was soft and tearful, careful in all the ways it never had been before, yet with all the tender love that had always existed since you were just kids back in college.

"I'm glad you're not dead" you mumbled against his lips, hand slipping into his.

"And leave you to deal with Tony by yourself? Babygirl I would never"

You chuckled, shaking your head slightly in disbelief. Through all of the shit he was still Rhodey through and through.

After a few more gentle kisses, you backed away slightly, moving one of the chairs to be pressed right up next to his bedside, his hand still firmly grasped in yours.

"Do we know what's wrong yet?"

"No. They did a few scans but they said they're gonna need to transfer me to another hospital" he explained, holding up his hand when he saw you go to interrupt, "Tony's already jumping in with that, getting me as close to the compound as possible"

You nodded silently, eyes dropping to where your fingers were intertwined. You allowed the touch to calm you, ground you in the moment before you continued speaking.

"You're gonna be okay James" you said, convincing yourself at the same time as him, "you're gonna be okay"

He squeezed your hand, his other moving to lift your chin up to face him, a knowing smile on his lips.

"This? This is nothing. As long as I've got you and Tony by my side, I can do anything"

You nodded at the pure determination in his voice, keeping the fresh wave of tears at bay by pure will power alone.