IX: First Japanese Lesson

Hiroto's first Japanese lessons just begun two weeks after the gathering. He moved from Devonshire to Buckingham to stay in his grandparents' residence to go to his university. His books were already in the residence since his first days in the university. When he returned to Buckingham after his stay in Devonshire for his return to the university, he was more ecstatic than before—he would learn how to understand his father's native language.

When he stepped his foot to the Buckingham, he saw his grandmother and her friend, Lady Jeanne to greet him.

"Good afternoon grandmother, Lady Jeanne," he greeted.

"Good afternoon, Hiroto. It's nice to see you again in Buckingham," Jeanne greeted, "how's your life in your old home?"

"Very pleasant. I will miss my mother's unique Japanese cooking," Hiroto replied, "where is she?"

"Who?" Jeanne asked.

"Ms. Yamaguchi. My tutor," Hiroto replied, "she is around here, right?"

"Yes, she is always around here. She loves to stay inside her bedroom for advance reading," Cesira answered, "I bought her suitable books for her four years of education."

"I wonder where that one-year free time belongs to?" Jeanne was sheer curious about Aya's time in Britain.

"I bet it is for the other affairs," Cesira told her, "she is also a diplomat if I remember it clearly."

Hiroto's eyes widened. "She's also a diplomat?"

"Her father is a diplomat, remember?" Cesira emphasized. She was chuckled by Hiroto's forgetfulness. "Just like your father, she went there to learn about Western culture. I believe she took the education part."

"You have to be lucky that she's your tutor, Hiroto," Jeanne grinned. She opened the door for the two and they went in, "you'll really learn a lot from her."

"I hope so."

When they entered to the other part of the private manner, they went to the room with a long table clear of obstruction. There was a tall narrow window that gives off artificial light. There were a lot of chairs around the long table which led to the conclusion that it was a meeting room.

"Are we going to use this room? This room is so spacious," Hiroto asked.

"We don't have small rooms. Ayako's room is not allowed because the bedroom itself is her personal space, despite its large size and it has a way shorter table," Cesira explained, "Jeanne, call Aya to come here with her materials."

Jeanne nodded and walked fast to her left to call Aya. Hiroto went inside the room and sat on a chair, patiently waiting for her. Cesira waited outside and left out of Hiroto's sight to greet Aya. He heard sounds of chatters as he looked through the window instead.

"Hiroto, here she is," Jeanne smiled as the young lady walked with a posture into the large meeting room. Hiroto stood up to greet her with a bow. She was different and simpler compared to the gathering. She wore round glasses with black frames and was clinging to a book.

"I'll leave you two behind. I have to take care of George's business affairs on the other side of the manor," Cesira waved at them and Jeanne followed her. The door was shut right after.

This silence is intimidating. Hiroto thought. "Shall I offer you a seat, Miss Yamaguchi?"

Aya shook her head. "I will sit across yours."

Hiroto followed her, but Aya signaled him not to help. "I'll do it by myself."

It's true. Hiroto talked mentally while he returned to his seat. She's so independent that she didn't want anyone to help her. He watched Aya placing the book into the table. He wondered why she didn't bring any papers or other stuff that he could write on.