chapter one - the night before

"my dear Amélie, I write this letter and lay it beside you as I prepare for the fight, I know you called it selfish of me but I promised my fellow french brethren I would join them, my blood is to our people and our country, if I die out on those streets I wish to tell you how much I care, and how much I love you, with all my heart, we will meet again my love I promise, stay safe and keep me in your heart.

à l'éternité avec toi

Your dearest Jehan xx"

Quickly and quietly Jehan packed away his things and left the now folded letter beside his asleep wife, next to the pillow, with a gentle kiss placed upon her forehead, he changed and left heading into the dimly lit streets of France.

Within minutes of leaving he found himself In the nearby bar, singing with the men, women of France along with some children, like his their clothes were ragged, torn and covered in dirt and coal from either work or being pushed down by officers and rich, on the table were cakes and other crumbs of food that the people were able to scavenge, Jehan tried his best to smile and but barely cracked one shift of his lips miserable with the fact of leaving his Amélie behind for her safety.

He drank what poor beer water they had in the pub and it made him slightly buzzed, the kind to ruin your pupil dilation but nothing else, days, months of planning went into tomorrow and yet the butterflies ripped his stomach apart, how everyone seemed so juvial and happy for it he'll never know, guess that's the promise of freedom clouding their heads, that and the fizz of the beer of course.

A few days before, the voice in the french parliament, Jean Maximilien Lamarque died of the big cholera, the people planned on attacking during his funeral, June 5th 1832. The clock struck the twelfth hour, the day was here, the pub fell silent, singing echoed out of the streets and the dead air filled these peoples lungs, Guion (one of Jehans close friends) stood on his chair and raised his glass "the day is here! Let us take back our freedom for France! Vive la France!" Everyone cheered as Jehan sat staring quiet, before standing and helping others check what weapons they scavenaged from robbing camps and other outposts.

The morning light starting to make its appearance known as Jehan watched his friends and blood brothers line up humming to each other, he joined the crowds and closed his eyes, listening to his quick and unsteady heartbeat as he heard the carriages and horses near him.

Ready for the moment, but not expecting the war.