1. Dream Land

Even if you believe that tomorrow the world will end - plant a seed today, it will grow out the day after tomorrow.

I've always wished to cross the edge of know things, like Stratosphere, Clouds or the universe. Centuries ago people were setting off across oceans in tiny wooden boats, so we have to be brave like them again, used to say my grandfather pointing at the night sky, so full of stars. Unfortunately they were all gone now, blended by artificial lights so I could only recall their image imprinted in my memory.

'We don't have much time, though. Maybe about a hundred years to escape into new dimensions until our home becomes our hell. We are the only ones powerful enough to carve that path towards a new universe. Never forget. Never forget that the fate of humanity is now in your hands' - that was his last goodbye, last order, last sentence he has uttered.

That cool summer night I was looking for the lost stars hopelessly standing at the far end of a wide terrace when loud music was coming through the opened patio of my living room floor. Maybe because I was drunk, my grandfather's words were reappearing again, so close to the surface. I was living his dream, handling a project that will soon bring humanity to the next step, maybe a step towards everlasting life or...

"Jaemin! Aren't you coming back?" Thee-San my beautiful secretary burst onto the terrace barley stumbling on her feet.

"Honey you've had enough of that." I took the Cognac bottle out of her hand.

"No my sweet boss, the party is just starting." She leaned her head on my shoulder cuddling into my neck.

"I won't let you into my bedroom in that state."

"Jaemin, you will get cold without me." She pouted her lips in a childish way receiving a small peck from me to shut up that silly cute mouth.

"Can we move that under your duvet. I have been missing you all day." She glued to my lips making the hangover a bit rougher.

"Not when you're in that state." I pulled her blonde hair string around my finger playfully.

"Mr Ju! I'm sorry to disturb?"

Lucas, my main assistant and bodyguards' head walked onto the terrace bowing his head  slightly.

"He's mine tonight." Thee-San wrapped her arms around me in a pathetic way.
Lucas's eyes were filled with worry so I took the girls hands off myself.

"Here, finish it then go to sleep." I pressed the bottle back into her hands.

Her little pout stopped to matter when I quickened my steps to reach Lucas.

"There is a problem in The Lagoon." He muttered taking his phone out.

Cold sweat started to roll down my neck, my drunken mind sobered in a fraction of a second.
When grandfather had started to dream about reaching beyond the stars he had ordered scientists to seek up the whole planet for the right place, where the first Outer Spacecraft could be launched. It happened to be so close, I couldn't believe it, when twenty years later the report landed on my desk. The place I used to play at as a child, as uncle Hanjin was living right across it. The small peaceful paradise where the rough ocean was calming down to create a natural pool. It has been that rare ecosystem surviving in the land of deserts that were surrounding the city, an oasis for all types of species, so it has been a long painful battle until the government allowed my company to buy that piece of land, for that insane project. It has only been because - the economical crisis, the pollution, all that men made crap has reached its peak, that citizens acknowledged my chance of reaching Outer Space was a chance for us all. The only way to carve a path for survival for future generations. They all understood it, so no one dared to vote against Take Off Investment buying the city's most precious ecosystem. The Lagoon was mine exclusively for three years now, every preparation phase was finished and we were ready to start building the huge launching platform this fall, so a problem in The Lagoon meant everyone's problem. It was freaking the last thing I needed when I was at home chilling with friends on Saturday, just getting drunk, kissing my favorite secretary and hoping to have even more fun. Yet here was that problem.

"What is it?" I was irritated grabbing the phone from Lucas, pressing a video to see a tall man with a tiny cross tattoo under his right eye walking up and down The Lagoon holding a huge poster.

"What does it say?" I paused the recording narrowing my eyes to distinguish the words he has written down on a large piece of cardboard.

Protect the Lagoon!
Save the Blue Birds!

"What is that?"

"The man was arrested, is waiting to see our lawyers, the problem is that the video has leaked online. There have been over one million views just in the last hour."

"Who is he? Some eco psycho or someone?"

"So far we have no information. The lawyers will call me the moment they find out."

"Where do they hold him captured?" I stormed the house unplugging the cable to the huge loudspeakers. "Party's over! Everyone shut up and go home!"

I saw their faces - stunned, shocked, afraid, angry.

"What are you planning?" Lucas caught up to me when all guests began to leave in a hurry.
No one has ever dared to discuss with my orders.

"We're going to the police station. I want to see him, find out who he is."

I slammed the bathroom door shut closing myself in it to scan my mirror reflection. The handsome face I have inherited after both parents, which was a mixture of my mother's softness and my father's rough temper seemed extra tired today. The hair I have dyed ash-blue a week ago were messy, so I used my fingers to comb through it as there was no time for formalities. I threw the bathrobe I was wearing on the cold marble floor, gave my body just one short glance, like after each gym session then splashed cold water over my face to get some senses back.

Lucas was nervous when I joined him in the garage a few minutes later. He cast a glance at my torn jeans and leather jacket yet left the comment for himself. You're not going for a date Jaemin, why look so hot, right. Just to take care of plain business.

"Jaemin. Will you leave me alone!" Thee-San was stumbling on her feet when she fell into the garage spilling some cognac on the rough concrete.

"Honey, freaking go to sleep." I sighed confiscating the bottle, caressing over her sweat mattered hair.

She stretched her lips out in a pout so I pecked them quickly.

"You smell like a homeless drunk dude." I whispered chuckling.

"Your homeless drunk dude." She whispered cuddling to my chest.

"Yes, definitely."

Maybe she has been my favorite secretary, as yes she was extra cute and totally uncomplicated. Maybe, just maybe I had a tiny crush on her.

"See you in the morning. Remember to be in the office in time." I laughed letting go off her, placing the bottle on the floor then running to the newest version of Space Beyond sports car my company produced.

"You're not so sober, maybe I will drive." Offered Lucas.

"Do you expect me to get a ticket." I raised my brow.

The drinks were still deeply in my system, or was it Thee-San, her cute pouty lips, other than that I would have been going insane from anger at that ridiculous man with a nonsense sign, doing whoever knows what damn protest in The Lagoon.

So it was high time to forget all the nice stuff and find out what that sudden nameless enemy was doing there to violate my grandfather's dream about the stars.

Thank you so much for checking out this story. It will be definitely different than anything I have ever written so I'm really excited to share it with you.
So what do you think about the first chapter and Jaemin's character? What about the man protesting in The Lagoon?

Much <3