Twenty-eight: Jide

I opened the door to the small restaurant and moved to the far end, to a small corner where I sat quietly as I had been instructed by Gabriel.

It was like he was dropping hints for me to know that he was with Miriam and something felt off about it.

I waited almost impatiently, looking at the door all the while before I finally saw it open.

He walked in in a simple t-shirt and a pair of khakis like I was wearing. His beards were neatly trimmed and his haircut was nice. On his feet were a brown pair of sandals. He had always known how to clean up nicely.

I checked him carefully to see if he had a gun but I found none. I wasn't going to take chances though, mine was with me and well loaded. For all I knew I couldn't trust him.

He walked towards me casually and sat down opposite me while I had to control the urge to grab him by the hem of his shirt around his neck.

"Good day Jide. That's what they call you now, right?", he put emphasis on my name and I rolled my eyes but said nothing.

"I've always known you were a smart cop, picking up things quickly than they expect you to, even if I did give you hints. Calling me was one of your most brilliant ideas so far, you know. Dayo doesn't give you enough credit."

I didn't say anything in reply. I didn't want the conversation to get longer by giving him more things to say.

"So, how is Jamilah by the way? I think she sent you the message."

My ears perked up and against my better judgement, I spoke up.

"What do you mean sent me the message?"

He chuckled.

"Jide, are you being serious right now? Don't tell me you don't understand. Do you think her accident was a mistake?"

I clenched my fists so hard I thought my palms were turned white.

Son of a gun!

"What did you do?"

"Me? Nothing, really. You should know I don't do dirty work on my own, I send people to do them for me and I think the better question is what did she do?"

I scowled, not exactly getting what he said. He picked in on my confused look.

"Jide. It's been like what? Ten years? It's quite a while but I don't expect you to forget about us so easily. You know how Jamilah can be at times and you know how I can be."

I quirked an eyebrow. How can he be talking so casually about my cousin's accident when he seemingly caused it?

"Brilliant isn't it? Who knew playing with the brake pads and rotors of your car could do so much damage? That could have easily been you but of course I had everything planned and was sure to send you a warning through Jamilah."

He smiled.

"That's the beauty, where you are smart, I am smarter, always one step ahead.", he followed it with laughter.

So, he almost killed Jamilah to send a message? And to think he was still human. He was just another vessel without a heart. I felt sick to my stomach. He was going to pay for putting Jamilah in coma and for trying to kill Miriam.

"Gabriel, why are you this brutal? She did nothing to deserve it.", I couldn't stop the emotion that flowed with my voice.

I was angry and disappointed but I was sad and depressed at the same time. I desperately needed a pause from reality.

He shrugged.

"She never liked me anyways."

Then he clapped his hands together, bringing them closer to his face and closing his eyes.

"Now, for the real reason we're here."

I felt almost out of breath. Was he trying to weaken me? To get to me? What was everything really about? I didn't have the strength to say anything.

"How much do you think it'll cost you to see your sweetheart again?"

I said nothing. I knew better than to say anything.

"Do you know what I want?"

I didn't respond so he just continued.

"I want things to be even, you know? I have always wanted that but even as influential as I am, nothing has been done about it."

I was confused, not understanding what he was saying but I knew it couldn't be good.

"And as for her, I don't know how she managed to stay alive, I guess she was just lucky. And to think she would lead me straight to you. No one ever thought of that. Not even me. I didn't think that the key to finding you was to try to kill a whore. She must have told you the story by now."

"She is not a whore.", I said annoyed at the fact that he had the effrontery to call her a whore. The urge to pull out my gun, aim for his forehead and shoot was very strong but I had to resist if I wanted him to lead me straight to Miriam and if I wanted her to walk out of everything alive.

He rolled his eyes.

"I never knew you were so attached but there's no harm done I guess."

"Shut up and just take me to her.", I was fed up with his little show.

"No need to rush things na, after all they say good things come to those who wait."

"I believe I have waited enough Gabriel, I have given you enough of my time sitting here with you while you sadistically tell me all about your atrocities. I think it's time we do business. I don't want anymore of your mind games. I have had just about enough of them."

He clapped.

"I've always liked you for your determination Jide. And you know what? You're right. There's absolutely no need to keep us waiting. So I think that means we can leave now, right?"

I looked away. My fists had remained clenched all through the conversation.

"Fine then. Let's leave.", he answered his own self and stood before going to the door.

I banged my hand on the table, gaining the attention of the few people around me but still followed from behind.

Son of a gun.

~~~

Enjoy!