001. SPANISH WITH SEÑOR CHANG

001. spanish with señor chang

episode one, season one

MARY HAD ZERO CLUE why she had made the executive desicion to sign up Spanish One class

MARY HAD ZERO CLUE why she had made the executive desicion to sign up Spanish One class. Growing up in a Puerto Rican family, the woman had started speaking Spanish before she could even walk. Now, she was sitting in Señor Chang's, the only Spanish teacher at Greendale, class waiting for the bell to ring and start the twenty-year-olds personal nightmare. Mary could have easily picked Spanish Three or Four. Her reasoning behind the choice of the class was that it would be an extremely easy A. Mary knew practically every word in Spanish; there is no way she wouldn't be able to pass.

Mary had gotten there five minutes before the bell rang, giving her time to pick the seat furthest away from people. The woman's logic was that she was there to get a degree, and then get the hell out of there with absolutely zero friends. Mary loved being alone; people bothered the hell out of her.

She walked down the aisle, past a blonde woman, scribbling down notes, a man staring at that said woman with a lovesick look in his eyes, an old guy checking out a woman in her mid-thirties at least, and a man with stars shaved into his sideburns.

She stopped in her tracks, staring down at the man in the seat below her. The pencil in his hand stopped mid 'Monday' as he drew his eyes up off the paper and onto the woman above him.

"You look stupid," Mary stated before continuing her way down the aisle, the corners of her lips tugging ever so slightly upwards as she listened to Starburns make a noise of protest. It was fair, the man did look stupid, with his weird vest and even weirder sideburns.

The small woman slammed down in the chair connected to the desk, which was luckily placed all the way in the back corner. The rest of the class was on her left, and on her right, a wooden bookshelf filled with textbooks, a window covered with a thin layer of dust, and a cabinet with a couple of colorful sombreros were thrown together to give the appearance of a classroom.

"Hi. I'm Abed. I'm sitting here." A man, suddenly standing up next to Mary, announced.

She turned her head up to look at the sudden voice, her eyes falling on a skinny, Indian man. He was tall, a brown bag was slung over his shoulder, and over a graphic tee, he had a cardigan thrown on. He just screamed 'nerd' to Mary. Definitely not someone she would ever want to be friends with. That being, she needed to want friends first.