{1} "Crossing the Line" (Bjorgman Brothers)

"James, wait!" Prince Cosmo of Ivoria called out to Prince James of Ivoria, who was running ahead of him.

Cosmo had on a lavender-colored wool tunic with a pair of deep violet wool trousers and a black belt with a golden buckle. The eldest prince kept his bright blond hair tied back into a bun in order to control the locks. His eyes were the most elegant shade of blue, and he was naturally attractive. He stood at 5'11" and had a preference of not wearing footwear, having been used to running around barefoot. His slender frame made it easy for him to be quick and light on his feet, and it certainly helped that he had knight training since he was twelve. Cosmo was twenty-one years of age, and he knew his role in his kingdom's history: He was going to become king. But he begged his mother to allow him to travel throughout the land and seal his magical destiny before he settled down and ruled Ivoria.

James was similar to Cosmo when it came to their body types, but that was where the resemblance ended. The younger prince had once worn an apple-red linen tunic and a pair of black wool trousers with a dull metal buckle, preferring to wear well-worn leather boots to his bare feet. His eyes had always been a piercing shade of yellow, and his unruly brown hair was now a shade of fiery red. James stood at 5'9 yet felt like he was shorter than Cosmo in many regards. He was also an excellent fighter like his brother, and he had knight training as well. James was unfortunate to not receive any magical gift that resembled Cosmo's ability. The younger prince was eighteen and had yet to become king, but he strongly disliked being a member of the royal family. The princes' father had passed away shortly after James's sixteenth birthday; the untimely death of the late king had rocked Ivoria to its core. Cosmo and the queen had grieved for months, but James had never felt terribly upset.

The late king had been abusive towards James, and the reasoning as to why had eluded him until three days before reaching the fabled Fire Stone, a magical jewel that could be neutralized with the Water Gem. The queen had informed her eldest son that Cosmo was the embodiment of the Water Gem and was the only one who could save their kingdom from utter ruin. Cosmo then begged her to let him go on the trip to find the Fire Stone and neutralize it once and for all. The queen agreed and allowed him to leave Ivoria. With the condition that James and Cosmo's lover, Henrietta, traveled with him, Cosmo set off to seek the Fire Stone.

James had never known his destiny until he realized why his father had abused him: His father had believed that James would never amount to anything, choosing to favor Cosmo and leave his younger son behind. This stirred up buried bitterness inside James's heart, and he began to hate his family. He hated Cosmo for ignoring James when he needed his brother the most. He hated his mother for not noticing what her deceased husband did. He hated his father for treating him like scum.

Once they had reached the Fire Stone, Henrietta and Cosmo had kissed one last time before Cosmo began his trek to the jewel. Once again, he had set James aside, not knowing how hurt and angry his baby brother was. James had followed Cosmo silently, his feet not making a sound on the bridge. Cosmo had seemed so eager to grab the Fire Stone, and a small stream of water had appeared in his hand as he reached out to pick it up. James had gathered up his courage and snatched the Fire Stone, glaring at Cosmo with as much hatred as he could muster.

Immediate heat surrounded the young prince, but he didn't feel it at all. In fact, he welcomed the warmth as flames slid up his arms, burning his uniform and leaving behind an orange-red bodysuit in its place. Cosmo backed up from his brother, stunned by his bold actions. James had never been one to take risks, and why did he choose this pivotal moment to start now? "What are you doing?!" Cosmo shouted over the raging fire as James's hair turned fiery red and the Fire Stone embedded itself into his chest.

Formations of obsidian pushed Cosmo back, knocking Henrietta over as well. They could only sit back and watch as James became someone they did not recognize. A cold, hateful laugh rang around the room as the younger prince sneered, "I tried to warn you, brother, you have to be careful who you trust."