°CHAPTER EIGHTEEN°

Januya paced in her room, constantly checking the time, and when it was exactly two hours after diner, she brought out the card from the drawer she had kept it as she stared at it, confirming Synis words

Januya paced in her room, constantly checking the time, and when it was exactly two hours after diner, she brought out the card from the drawer she had kept it as she stared at it, confirming Synis words. The arrow on the card glowed golden and pointed in the direction of her door.

She faced Twix who was all curdled up on her bed, as she heaved in a deep breath. “Wish me luck Twix.”

Thankfully, the Quiloe didn’t reply.

Januya peeped left and right before proceeding, with the card acting as her guide. The hallway was dark except for the occasional windows which produced streams of moonlight. Once, she thought she heard footsteps, so she had to hide in a corner.

The manor was large and Januya soon got tired of walking until the arrow pointed towards a flight of stairs. Januya looked up before raising her foot over each step, heading upwards.

A dark wood door hailed her and when she looked closely, there were smudges of color on its knob like paint. The arrow kept on pointing forward indicating she had to go in. Januya carefully pulled down the knob and heard a small click before it opened. She heaved a sigh of relief when it made no creak or noise.

Januya was thankful for the full moon that night that generously provided a reasonable amount of light. She looked around as she inhaled dust.

It looked like a storeroom of some kind, with boxes piling on top of each other. On one side was a canvas on an easel with a half-done painting on it, as if the artist never completed it. She could see colors of different paints inside their respective containers. On a wooden table was a palate with dried paint in each hollow spot and a variety of brushes with dried paint clung on them.

A wall caught her attention and when she viewed them properly, she saw paintings, on different canvases. The first, the artist had painted the night sky with showerings of light streaks that jogged Januya’s memory to the ichika festival back at Hiliglipa. The second, was the painting of an exotic colorful bird and the third, was of a woman. Her hair was exactly the color of Januya’s hair, only shorter. Her amber colored eyes had that wild mischievous glint in them and her mouth was set on a smirk. Her brown skin was a few shades darker than Januya’s.

“That’s Atani, your mother.” A voice said from behind her. Januya didn’t turn to the voice, knowing it was Synis who spoke. She focused on the painting. She saw the resemblance between her and the woman. The same shape of face and the same round eyes. Januya gently touched the painting with her fingers affectionately, wishing it were her mother’s face she was touching instead. Her heart ached for the woman in the painting. Januya suddenly wished she could go back in time and totally prevent the fire outbreak.

Still examining at the painting, she commended the artist in her heart for how detailed the painting was. Whoever painted it must have really known her mother.

“Who painted this?” she asked Synis. Januya wondered if she could meet the nuliian personally. Maybe whoever it is could tell her more about her mother.