Chapter 16: Can't Make It

"So Athy, what is the plan?" 

"I don't know guys... Maybe we can eat out?"

His eyes were unveiled when he heard her voice and his lips curved into a small smile.  He was supposed to pick something up tomorrow. Something for her special day.

"But we did that last year. Let's try something new. How about we make some cake together at your house tomorrow?" Helena suggested and Athanasia nodded in agreement. "Oooh. That would be nice. Let's do it then!"

"Hey, You." Athanasia teasingly poked his neck. "Get up! We are going to get food." She teased him even more, shallowly brushing her fingers up and down. He kept leaning away, and almost fell off the chair when he grabbed her hand, stopping her from teasing his sensitivity. 

Lucas grunted and lazily got off his seat. Messy hair sprawling freely. His eyes were semi-opened. He ran his fingers through his hair and stretched his body, making effort to refresh his head.

Oh god, he looks so good when he wakes up. Helena muted her squeal with both of her hands.

"There are ways to wake people up." He fussed, making her giggle with the fact that she got to annoy him. "Like what?" 

"How about a ki—"

"Lucas. I need a word with you." Ejekiel walked inside. He was outside the whole time, answering some calls.

"Is something wrong?" Jeannette was worried about a potential quarrel could break out between the two, but Ezekiel just smiled and replied. "Nothing serious. No need to worry. But I'm afraid I need to talk to him alone. Please excuse us."

Jeannette nodded lightly before grabbing both of her friends and heading out.

"Get me my food too," Lucas yelled and Athanasia dug her heels, almost making Jeannette trip at the sudden pause. "The regular?"

"Yeah."

"But you will have to pay me later. Double— No triple."

"Sure sure. Anything for the princess."

"Hey! You are not supposed to react this way!"

"Just get your ugly face out of here."

"WHAT? WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?"

"Athy, come on, he was only kidding." Jeannette dragged her cousin away.

There was no one else besides the two men. One was steadying his breathing as he witnessed the numbing scene before him, while the other was smirking in delight, looking at the old trace of where she was a moment ago. 

When Ezekiel let out another visible sigh, Lucas glanced at him from the corner of his eye. "What is it?"

"Your team will be here by tomorrow morning. Before sunrise." Ezekiel explained with a monotone. "Cabel is currently on his way to the location. It is best if you leave now. So you can rest there tonight. It will be about 8 hour drive from here. I will ask my father to send another car—"

"The hell are you talking about?

"I assumed Felix had already informed you. I am merely here to remind you." Ezekiel handed a communicator to his friend. "I suggest you talk to him now. You should get instruction from him." 

He walked outside, trying to get a personal space of his own. "Felix?"

"Lucas. What did I tell you about keeping that transmission device with you?"

"Sorry. I was busy yesterday."

"Where were you when I contacted you?"

"I was at the fair—I mean somewhere. Somewhere important."