Chapter 1: The Game

"Harrison! Get your ass back on the field!" Coach Uriel cried out waving his hands in the air with a whistle around his neck.

"For fuck's sake, can't even take a breath of peace without him breathing down my neck all the time." David sighed loudly as he shook his head in annoyance, "I'm fucking done with his attitude."

"It's alright, you know, he's like that with everyone else. You don't need to-"

"No, for real, I'm fucking done." He cut me off and took the baseball bat and walked towards the coach with anger pent up in his grey eyes, "I'll get your ass on the field too, you sick bastard." David murmured under his breath as he began to beat the coach's head to pulp.

I was standing on the sidelines cheering for him and talking all normally with him before this act of violence bestowed upon us. What has gotten into David? This is so not like him to act so violently.

I hurried to the field of sinisterly acts and tried to stop him the best I could. "DAVID! DAVID LISTEN TO ME! LOOK AT ME, WHAT HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU? STOP! THIS IS NOT YOU. YOU HAVE TO-"

Before I could struggle anymore, he threw away the bat on the green field and looked at me in a way no one has ever before, "I'm sorry, is this changing the way you look at me?"

I stood there, hands hanging by my sides, confused as hell, thinking why is he acting like this all of a sudden, before my thoughts got interrupted by a shaky voice.

"D-david!" She came sprinting towards us, "I've been looking everywhere for you, where the hell were you?" She said after taking some time to breathe.

It was Ashley, Ashley Harrison, David's younger sister. I was surprised to see her here since she didn't go to our school, rather a school very distant from ours.

"I told you I had my game tonight didn't I?" He replied as casually as possible.

I couldn't process what had just happened, he almost beat the coach to death, people are panicking everywhere, kids are calling 911 and I can hear sirens from a distance, and he's acting like... nothing happened?

"You need to get back home! Dad heard what happened and he's angry." She had fear in her eyes like something terrible was about to happen.

"I'll be there in an hour. I need to take care of some things." He smiled at her lightly and patted her sending her off to home alone.

I still stood there with shock written all over my face, my eyes shooting questioning glares.

"Don't worry, I'm sorry you had to see this side of me. I promise you won't ever again. You trust me, right?" He smiled at me a lot strongly than he did at his sister, like he was trying to reassure me that he's still sane.

I looked at him in disbelief, like I didn't believe what he said, and it's true, I didn't. I still managed to gather a weak smile and nodded along.

"It's all for you, don't worry." He smiled again, now which looked kind of creepy.

I didn't know what to say to that, so I was about to ask what he meant, but I saw the cops approaching us and thought it best for me to walk away from there.

"Young lady! Please stay here, we need to ask you a few questions about this incident." A youthful seeming cop called out to me stopping me from going away.

Ah, crap.

I walked back to the cop hesitantly, the light of the stadium flashing straight into my eyes.

"Yes? What questions?" I asked narrowing my eyes and covering them to prevent the light straining the life out of them.

"Can you explain to me what happened here?" He took out his notepad and started writing whatever he was supposed to be writing.

I explained everything just as it happened, and something in his eyes expressed that he didn't believe me.

"If I were to be honest with you, I don't think that's the whole story. The way you explain it, even you don't seem to believe that things could go down like this. Why is that so?" He put the butt of the pen on his chin.

"W-well that's because... I've known David for quite a long time and he's not... he's not the type of person to engage in such acts, let alone be so close to... murdering someone." I bit my lower lip after finishing my sentence, because it was hard to even think that he could do such a thing.

"Do you think there's a reason behind why he might have acted like this?" He questioned raising an eyebrow at me.

"Uhmm.. not that I know of, or think of, no, not really."

"Well I guess, that's all I needed to know." He clicked his pen and went away giving me a chivalrous smile that I was tired of.

As he walked away I saw a few men taking Coach Uriel into an ambulance on a stretcher, and a female cop handcuffing David as he smiled at me the same way he did before.

I shook my head at this and shrugged. I didn't know what to make of this. I needed time to process this, so I went back to the sidelines and picked up my jacket from the benchwarmer seats. I wore it hastily and made my way out of the stadium before I was stopped by a familiar figure.

"Violet! Wait, I need to talk to you."

Please no more drama, please.

I took out my phone from my shorts pocket and turned on the flashlight to see who the hell it was that bothered to stop me.

It was Dylan, a mutual friend of David and I, he hadn't been our friend for a long time since he joined school just this year.

"Not now Dylan!" I resisted and tried to push him aside.

"Please, we need to talk, it's important." He spoke out gently holding my shoulders, mist forming out his mouth, his green eyes pleading me to listen to him.

I sighed deeply and agreed to listen, "Fine, make it short."

"You won't wanna make it short when you hear what happened." He stretched his lips sideways.

"Well am I gonna sit here all night waiting for you to speak instead of your jibber jabbe-"

"It's about David, the coach, the beating." He looked sternly into my eyes.

"What about him?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

"He did it for you."