06 | Into the Mystery

Amelia debated turning her car around several times on the way to Henry's, but what stopped her from actually doing so was the knowledge that every one of her doubts was orbiting around what Colton would want her to do rather than her own desires. What she wanted was free dinner, so she kept driving.

She was slightly surprised upon pulling up to the address he'd given her over the phone that it was a townhouse rather than an apartment, but she knew she must be in the right place because she could recall seeing the old Jeep that was sitting in the driveway back at the park on Saturday. She walked up to the front porch and rang the doorbell, and it was in those few quiet, solitary seconds that fell between her pressing the button and him answering the door that Amelia realized that she wasn't so sure if she was actually prepared to talk about her feelings if he asked her what was going on. But the nerves dissipated for the most part when Henry opened the door and welcomed her inside with a warm smile.

"Good timing," he told her. "The food just finished."

She couldn't help but glance around as he led her through the living room to the kitchen, though she tried not to be too conspicuous about it. Everything was very tidy, tidier than she would have expected for a twenty-four-year-old boy who lived by himself—unless there was a secret roommate she didn't know about—but it didn't feel disconcertingly sterile, either. She dared to think that it was cozy while simultaneously scolding herself that she shouldn't get too comfortable here. She knew that visits to him didn't need to be a repetitive occurrence.

"Nice place," was the only comment she made aloud as she drifted over to the kitchen table, her hand settling on the back of one of the chairs.

"Oh, thanks. I can't really take much credit for it. The landlord is a family friend and gives me pretty cheap rent," he explained as he walked back over to the stovetop. "I think he always felt a little sorry for my parents."

He said it casually—absentmindedly, really—but Amelia was lost. Her eyebrows furrowed. "Sorry for them?" she repeated, as if she'd perhaps misheard him. "Why?"

As the word slipped out of her mouth, she realized that she was probably being too blunt. She thought she saw his cheeks go slightly pink, or was that just the light playing tricks on her?

"No reason—I mean, it's a long story."

"You don't have to explain anything," she quickly corrected herself. "I shouldn't have asked. What's for dinner?"

Dinner, it turned out, was some sort of chicken and rice concoction that had her mouth watering as soon as she saw it. Amelia took a seat at the table while Henry divided the food evenly onto two plates and poured a glass of water for both of them. She didn't realize how hungry she already was until her stomach quietly growled when he brought her plate to her, but he was either too polite to comment on it or didn't even notice.

"I'm gonna have to steal this recipe from you," she decided after taking just one delectable bite. It certainly put all of her own cooking attempts to shame; he must have been one of those kids who actually pays attention when one of their parents tries to teach them anything about cooking.

Henry was now sitting across from her, and she noticed the way little crinkles formed around his eyes when he smiled. "I'm glad I didn't disappoint," he said.

"Not at all. Seriously, thanks for letting me come leech off of your food. It's really kind of you."

He brushed off the compliment. "Don't worry about it. I enjoy doing things for people. It's just my personality, I guess."

She found herself grinning. "Okay, Saint Caruso."

She hadn't meant to almost make him laugh while he was in the middle of chewing a bite of food, but she saw him struggle to keep his mouth shut as he quickly swallowed it, his lips tilting into a little smirk.