A Lost Soul

A Lost Soul
              A short story by: Christi S. Emberton
      My name is Linda Hunt this is the story of how I lost my husband... His name was Jim... I always knew he was having an affair with his business partner, I knew about the hotels they checked into together on his business trips, I knew everything but I let it go because I loved him so much and we had two beautiful little girls, Bridgett and Megan... Bridgett was 8 Megan was 5. One morning I finally had enough of knowing my husbands secret meetings with his co-worker, I held it in for so long I finally blew up in his face, he didn't say a word, just got in his car and left for work. I put on a fake smile when I heard my two girls run down the stairs for breakfast, I'm the housewife that cooks, cleans, does the shopping and drives the kids to school every morning. After I dropped the girls off at school and did the grocery shopping I head home, when I walked in the door I noticed the red light on the home phone was blinking indicating I received a voicemail, I picked up the phone to listen, it was Jim he told me to call as soon as I got the message and that it was important, so I did just that... Jim answered his phone, there was silence for a few seconds then he says what he needed to say he said "Linda I love you, I've always loved you, the woman I've been seeing means nothing to me, you've always been the one for me, I'm so sorry, I already called her and told her I can't do this no more, can you ever forgive me?" I smiled a faint smile, a real one for once and said "I love you too Jim, I forgive you". I heard him let out a sigh of relief and happiness, I let out a slight laugh "so when will you be home? I miss you already" Jim began to reply then all of a sudden stops... I hear tires squeal, a loud crash and glass shattering in the background... I called out to him then the phone went dead I run out to my car and race down the road. As I got closer to the road he normally took for work I saw a fifty foot trailer up in flames and underneath it was Jim's car... everything went silent and echoed as if someone had tossed a flash bang, I ran across the train track and over to Jim's car to see if he was still alive... he was dead... tears streamed down my face then everything went white... I sit here next to the grave day by day in remorse as I write down my sorrows on paper, Jim was my the love of my life and my best friend... you don't realize how much love you have for that one person until they're gone... all the good times we had only now exist in my memory... they will forever play over and over again in my mind... the tombstone reads "Here lies Jim Hunt October, 6th, 2007 together for eternity with beloved wife Linda Hunt October, 6th, 2007".

      Linda was hit by a train trying to get to her husband Jim she now lies with him in peace.