Past

Fourteen-year-old Ebenezer sat quietly at his desk, watching his classmates laugh and chatter as they exchanged small, homemade gifts: animals carved from scrap pieces of wood, bracelets of dyed rope, handwritten cards on loose pieces of parchment.

Ebenezer never wanted nor expected any of these gifts, and nevertheless they didn't come his way. All the same, he didn't exactly have anyone to truly call a friend. This was fine with him, after all, his father had sent him to boarding school in order to learn a trade, not make friends.

"Psst, Ebenezer!" A harsh whisper came from across the room. Ebenezer's head whipped around; he was only ever addressed by the headmaster when called to answer a question.

He searched for the whisperer when it came again: "Over here."

Their eyes finally made contact: Ebenezer found himself staring directly at Jacob Marley. A newer pupil, he had arrived in late November. Not unlike Ebenezer, Jacob kept to himself and rarely spoke. Scrooge wasn't even sure Jacob knew of his existence; his soft exclamation came as a large surprise.

Before he knew it. Jacob was standing next to his desk, something in his hand. Ebenezer found himself standing and accepting the object. "It's a candlestick holder," Jacob explained. "My father, he makes them. I always receive a couple for Christmas. Why don't you have this one?"

Ebenezer didn't know what to say. The candle holder wasn't especially ornate, or even very well made. But the fact that he was receiving an actual Christmas gift, a Christmas gift from a boy in his class he had never once spoken to or acknowledged...

Ebenezer lifted his eyes from the candle holder to Jacob Marley's expectant face. His brown eyes were wide and anxious; Ebenezer noticed immediately that he had a nervous habit of fidgeting with his hands. A crafter's hands, he thought.

Ebenezer swallowed. "T-Thank you Jacob, it's very good of you. I wish I had something for you in return," he added, flushing with embarrassment.

Jacob only smiled warmly, to Ebenezer's great relief. "If you'd accompany me to Fezziwig's dance, that would be return enough." Jacob suddenly turned shy. "Just to have someone to talk to while everyone else dances, you understand."

Ebenezer blushed even more furiously. "I-I don't fancy dancing myself. Of course, we can keep each other's company."

***

Mr. Fezziwig's spirited dances were a tradition, but while everyone else partnered up, Ebenezer and Jacob spent the time sharing an orange by the fireplace, talking and laughing amongst themselves. It was hard to say which boy seemed more pleased with the newfound friendship, but it was easy to see both were more than grateful to have a friend.

As it turned out, both were interested in taking up business as a trade once they finished schooling. Jacob's father wasn't pleased at his decision, he revealed, but he was adamant to own a successful business and give his father a reason to have pride in his son.

Both were shocked and utterly thrilled to learn they shared the same dream. Then and there, they vowed to open up shop together as soon as they received their credentials.

"I promise you, Ebenezer," Jacob said, his eyes shining in the moonlight, the cold freezing his breath into clouds. "One day, we will be rich and successful and people will admire our skills and envy our partnership."

Ebenezer could only nod; his mouth was stretched so wide in a smile it was almost painful. He felt a peculiar sort of stirrings inside him, a strange sort of bliss as he listened to Jacob rave and plan out their future together. He soon found himself wondering where Jacob had been all his life. It was as if he had opened a door for Ebenezer: suddenly the future seems brighter, full of possibilities and hope and laughter. The relationship forming between them felt good, too good.