Chapter 24: From the End to the Start

Alice stood at her bookshelf, in the room she and Riba once shared. Humming a familiar melody. She remembered it was here that it happened. Mario. Mario may have been the best thing that ever happened to her since her death. Because of him, she was able to breathe. Feel. Cry. Live. But that was all gone now. She couldn't even think of going back to him. Because besides his body being unsustainable for her, she had brought disease upon him when she left his body.

She just wanted to live again. The pain was acting up again. The more she thought of wanting to live, the pain of being bludgeoned with a crowbar made itself more and more apparent. She had loved Riba more than anyone else. Why would he do this to her?

Riba peeked out from around the corner. He wasn't sure if he should approach her. He didn't know how she'd respond. Still, he needed to do this. He mustered up his courage. And took a deep breath.

Alice squeaked. Riba heard her. And she had heard him. He dashed behind the corner again. "Hello? Who's there?" Alice asked. She didn't want to be bothered right now. She took a deep breath as well.

She wasn't scared, just startled. She had heard noises around the house earlier. She could tell Riba was back. What was she going to do? She couldn't kill him. He was too powerful. Besides... something inside her felt bad for him. Deep down, she regretted killing Mario. Mario was never particularly malicious to her. In fact, he had treated her kindly, if not like an annoying mindless pet. She felt bad for taking him away from Riba. She really didn't have much reason to. But that was in the past. Was Riba back for revenge for what she did to Mario?

Alice kept looking around. But then, she felt something wrap around her. Oh no. Riba had gotten her in a hold!

"Mom," Anna's spine-chilling voice said. Oh no. It was Anna!

"Anna, get off of me, you wretched---!" Alice shouted. But then she realized the position she was in. Anna wasn't gripping her tight enough to contain her, just embracing her. Alice looked confused. Frightened. Anna hadn't ever hugged her. Partially because of Alice always pushing Anna away. Alice was in an emotional mood right now, so she didn't attack. She was feeling remorseful again for all the things she's done.

"Mom, it's okay," Anna replied. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Why are you---?" Alice asked. "How did you get here?"

"She had some help," Riba's voice sounded. He walked over and put a hand on Anna's head. Alice almost jumped out of Anna's hug. Riba!

"No! Don't hurt me!" Alice shouted.

"It's okay," Riba assured her. "I'll never hurt you again."

"Can we come out now?" Leo asked from around the corner. Alice opened her eyes, and looked behind her. Her family? There was now Rosa, Alfred, Marie, Mercy, Leo, Rae, the angel in the photo, Serina, even. And Anna and Riba were now both hugging her.

"You're all here," Alice gasped. She felt wet tears come to her emerald eyes. "Why did you all come back for me? No... get away! This can't be happening! I'll kill you all!" Her voice grew deeper.

"Alice, please don't," Riba sobbed, as Alice was seething. "I'm sorry for what I did before. I was such a stupid man. I took advantage of your love for me to hurt others. I manipulated you. And for that, I'm sorry. So, so sorry. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me."

"You don't mean that," Alice growled. Her eyes flashed pitch black where they should be white. "You... can't mean that... I---"

"I mean it," Riba replied. "I know you may not forgive me. I know you may not ever. But I'll do whatever I can to make it up to you."

"Can we be together again?" Alice asked.

"Sorry, that is one thing I cannot do," Riba sighed. He felt at peace. He smiled. "My heart is stuck on another."

"I see..." Alice wept. "I still love you though. I wanted to be together forever."

"I'm sorry," Riba apologized. "Alice, it's been centuries. You need to move on. I'm sure there's someone out there for you."

"I missed you so much," Alice sobbed. She wrapped one arm around Riba. And another around Anna. "I missed all of you so much." Alice then felt Marie embrace her. Then Alfred, Rosa, Rae, Leo, Effigy, everybody. Even Mercy. "Ah---" Alice gasped. She felt this a little silly. But soon, she gave in. "All of you. You're all my family. And I love you all."