18

╔═══════════════╗

╔═══════════════╗

18. Dammit Coach

╚═══════════════╝

They didn't make it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, four giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor. "Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Lorna cursed under her breath. By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have bothered her, but the three other guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than Lorna wanted to deal with, especially since Piper and Annabeth were armed only with daggers.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

"No one's stopping you." Lorna told her.

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Lorna saw no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion. If they could get on board, she could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans. She was running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tasty Greek demigods over here! Lorna couldn't see the flying chariot anymore, but she assumed it was close by. She had to figure out something before more Romans arrived. She needed help...some kind of distress signal to Coach Hedge, or even better—Percy. But Lorna couldn't possibly reach out to the sea creatures, Octatian would kill her before she could. But Annabeth... Percy would definitely come to the rescue if Annabeth were in danger.

"Well?" Octavian demanded.

His two friends brandished their swords.

Very slowly, using only two fingers, Annabeth drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!"

Annabeth did a dumb-blonde smile, like: Oh, silly me.

Hazel, Piper and Lorna weren't fooled. But Octavian seemed to buy it. He huffed in exasperation. "You other three..." He pointed his blade at Hazel, Piper and Lorna. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"