Chapter 21

Queen's only reaction was to storm out of the tainted house. There was nothing wrong with it or even remotely undesirable, considering it was a beautiful home with lovely furnishing. But it was bought with Kyrie's money, and she didn't want any part of it.

Once she'd made it outside onto the porch, she gripped the railing for support and breathed deeply into the air. She couldn't leave if she wanted to. Norris had taken off as soon as she entered the house, and ordering an Uber would take more time than she was willing to wait.

Unamused with her response, Kyrie leaned against the frame of the front door and crossed his arms over his chest, admiring the curves of her body as she fought to catch her breath. "You don't like it," he said nonchalantly. "I can find another one."

"Do you think this is love?" she snapped at him, whirling around. She glared at the pleased smile on his face. "Stalking me at my workplace, buying a house — this is not love."

"Can I explain?"

"I thought a month would be plenty of time for you to get it together. To learn that you can't buy me or do whatever you want just because you're Kyrie Emerson."

"If you'd let me explain," he said louder this time, overpowering her voice, "you'd know that I bought this house for us."

She blinked at him. "What?"

"When you come back to me, when we're together again, I want you here. I want you in this house with me and the kids." He moved in on her, forcing her against the railing. Even with his hand on her back and his breath fanning against her cheek, he couldn't get close enough.

"We'll get into another fight," she said, looking down at his sinful lips. With his just inches from hers, she could have kissed him, but she resisted the urge. "It's inevitable, and you'll tell me to leave again."

"I won't," he told her. "Making you leave was a mistake. It'll never happen again."

"How do I know that?"

"Your name will be on the deed."

She wrapped her arms around his neck to steady herself and inhaled deeply. Her breath shook as she did so, but she kept a steady gaze on him. "You are crazy, Kyrie Emerson."

"Maybe I am," he murmured. "But I love you, and I want you back. Say you'll come back."

"You'll still take the boys to see Rachel?"

"Whenever they want to," he promised, raising a hand.

"What about Mallory?"

"She's officially retired. I have a payment plan for her so she's well taken care of."

Queen breathed a sigh of relief and dropped her head against his chest. "Are you still upset that I met with Immanuel and Lucinda?"

"I was never upset with you," he assured her. "It took some time, but I've forgiven my brother. In the end, he's made the organization stronger. Can you forgive me for what I've done to you?"

She closed her eyes, as if to contemplate his question and then nodded her head. "You're forgiven, but don't let it happen again or I'm gone for good."

He swallowed hard and stood taller. He wasn't sure what to make of her threat, but he wouldn't test her. "I've learned my lesson. Does this mean you'll come home?"

"Yes," she responded. She lifted her head and pressed her lips to his. In their passionate kiss, she moaned and dragged her fingers over his waves, entranced by the rough curls on her skin. When she pulled away, she asked, "What took you so long?"