Chapter {7} The invitation

It was the start of a new day in Moominvalley. Mr. Hemulen can finally rest easy now knowing that the thief Stinky won't be around for now on and I can finally make my way back to my cottage. As I walked along the path back to my cottage after a long night I thought I would feel more tired but in fact, I feel very much awake.

When I got home I took the lilac flowers that Snufkin gave me into an old vase that sat on the coffee table next to the window. Now that I'm looking at them more closely in the daylight I am amazed by their vibrant shade of purple and how beautiful they smell. 

I start my morning routine by watering the garden, mopping the floors, and then washed the dishes until felt it was appropriate to take a break for a while. I first prepared a cup of green tea, picked a book from the bookshelf, and then sat down on the comfiest armchair in the living room. 

The sunlight that poured through the window felt warm on my legs as I started to read my book but after a few minutes of reading, I hear a knock at the door. I get up from my chair and opened the door the see the mailman holding a large box.

"Good morning Miss, how are you today?" He asked

"I'm doing quite well, what can I do for you today Mr. Mailman?"

He reaches into his satchel bag and pulls out a letter. "It's a letter and a parcel for you from Willow Hills"

He hands me the box and letter "Thank you very much" I beamed with excitement

"I'd best be on my way, enjoy the rest of your day Miss!"

"Goodbye sir" I close the front door as he walks away to deliver the rest of his letters.

I quickly go sit back in my armchair a look down at the letter. I haven't heard from my brother since I left Willow hills and I am sure he is mad at me not saying goodbye when I left that faithful morning. I look closer at the letter I notice who's handwriting it is written in. It wasn't from my brother but from my sister-in-law Genevieve.

I let out a sigh of relief. I am close friends with Genevieve. Ever since she and my brother got married she was always the one I went to for advice because she is so smart and wise beyond her years.

"Dear (Y/N), I hope your journey to Moominvalley was safe and you have settled into your new home by the time you receive this letter. I'm sorry your brother hasn't had the time away from work to write you a letter but I assure you that he is thinking about you. He was disappointed to wake up that morning to see that you had felt without saying goodbye to us, but he also understands why you felt you had to do it. When he has time to take a break from work we would love to come to visit you but for now, it will have to wait.

I also wanted to write to you today to invite you to a ball that an old friend of mine is organising to celebrate the start of the new spring season. They live in Moominvalley and from my understanding, it sounds like all of the families in the area are also invited. I wanted to let you know that your brother and I will be there.

In the box, there should be an invitation to you.

We hope to see you at the ball next week

Yours sincerely Genevieve."

A spring ball in Moominvalley? I've been to many balls in my life but this one will be different because the Moomins and my other friends might possibly be attending. Will Snufkin be there? For a moment the idea of the possibility of dancing with Snufkin pops into my head. I blush before letting out a sigh. I highly doubt that Snufkin will want to go to a ball.  I put down the letter and open up the box that came with it.

  I put down the letter and open up the box that came with it