6

Short Round had never ridden a plane before. It was amazing, being so high above the earth; in the clouds. He spent the most of the long flight staring out the window down to the land of China below. When his face wasn't smashed against the glass, the hyper eleven-year-old boy bounced in his worn seat and chatted with Wu Han while Indy was asleep with his hat lowered over his eyes or with Indy when he wasn't.

They landed that afternoon and Dr. Jones informed him that they had to take another flight to reach their destination. While they waited, the trio had lunch. Short Round practically inhaled his chicken and rice and only slowed down when Wu Han gently told him to. Despite his fortunate streak of hot, full meals the past few days, he learned to eat as much as you can when you can because you never know when your next meal will be.

The second flight was less exciting and just as lengthy. Outside the window was pitch black so there was nothing to see. He was sitting in the middle anyways. Full from the meal and exhausted from traveling, which was surprising to him since all he did was sit all day, the small child tucked his faded blue jacket around him and fell asleep, curled up in his seat like a kitten.

Indiana soon found the kid's head on his arm, having shifted as one does unconsciously in their slumber. In the dim light, Indy caught Wu Han's eye as the Dutch-Chinese man glanced up from his book. They both glanced down at the tender sight before them then grinned at each other. As carefully as possible, Indiana slowly removed his numb arm and adjusted Short Round so that his head was resting comfortably on his thigh. The boy stiffened a bit and his eyes open to bleary slits, but then he soon relaxed after recognizing who it was and fell back asleep immediately.

After they landed, Wu Han arranged lodging in a hotel across from the landing strip. They spent the night there until dawn.

Short Round had never ridden a yak before. He didn't know anyone who could make that claim either. Wu Han had hired two guides to take them up the Himalayan mountains.

  "We travel by yak," one guide explained in Chinese, patting the side of the animal.

  "We must warn you," the other added gravely, "Bandits have been known to attack travelers in the area we are headed."

Having all understood, the three adventurers exchanged glances. In response to Indy's questioning eyes, Wu Han patted his pocket. Indiana Jones nodded. Then he turned to the guides.

  "Take us there."

Short Round buttoned up this worn out coat. It barely kept out the cold. It never snowed in Shanghai. He wasn't dressed for the cold. Thankfully, he only felt a chill because of the yak's warm body and thick, brown hair. Indy rode behind him. Clad in his leather jacket with his fedora pulled low, he seemed unbothered by the freezing temperature. His sharp eyes swept over the horizon.

  "You think there be more trouble, Indy?" Short Round asked.

  "It doesn't hurt to be cautious, kid."

Short Round nodded in agreement and began scanning the area as well for thieves or Lao Che's men.

  "By the way, I have something for you."

Short Round turned as far as he could eagerly while Indiana rummaged around in his satchel. Gifts were rare for the pickpocket. He couldn't remember the last time he was given one.

Dr. Jones handed him a floppy object with an awkward grin. It was an once white cap with a strange symbol on the front.

  "It's a Yankees baseball cap," Indy explained. "It was mine, but I think you will appreciate it more than me. Sorry it isn't new."