Soul Returned

A/N That was

TERRIFYING. I give props to ANYONE with the guts to write fanfiction.  This chapter will be in Ray's P.O.V. I don't own Angels of Death or any of the art in this fanfic.

Enjoy~

Eight months

Four weeks

Two days

That's how long my life was on "autopilot." I refused to acknowledge the world around me without him by my side. Anything I experienced meant nothing if he wasn't there.

"I want to...run, Zack."

My own words replayed in my head constantly. Even as my therapy session ended with praise, I felt insulted.'You're just happy I stopped asking about him. I hope you're proud of yourself.'

"The moon is so blue tonight. Isn't it pretty, Rachel?" Her question brought me out of my  thoughts, though I stayed quiet.

"I'm surprised at you, Rachel. When you first came here, you barley said a word and when you did, it always involved Isaac Foster. Now, you never even mention him. You really have grown, Rachel. I'm proud of you."

'You don't deserve to say his name. You just can't wait for praise on how you 'fixed me', all while you parade me around like some kind of trophy and brag about how'great I'm doing'. You will burn for thinking he means nothing to me.' I glared out at the moon, not wanting her to notice the hatred in my eyes.

"Zack."

"What was that, Rachel?"

"His name is Zack." I snapped my head to the side, meeting her uninterested expression. She sighed, staring back out the window. 

"I suppose that's to be expected. I didn't want to bring this up, I could get fired for telling you this but," she took a deep breath, pinching the bridge of her nose, "Isaac Foster has been sentenced to death. So there's no need to be afraid of him anymore, Rachel. You can sleep easy now."

My breathing stopped.

'What?'

My vision blurred.

'What did she say?'

Time froze around me.

"Death? But that's not right.'

My brain was still taking in her words even as my mouth moved.

"Oh." That was all my dazed mind could come up with.

"Goodnight then, Doctor." I turned to the hall leading to my room before she could respond. I think I heard her mumble a bid goodnight before walking down another hallway.

"Issac Foster has been sentenced to death."

I shook my head, refusing to believe her.

'He hates liars more than anything. He wouldn't let himself  die before he kills me. I know he'll come for me.'

I knew I wouldn't sleep that night; I never did.

I was tossing and turning until at least 2 AM. The thought of Zack back on the electric chair or being injected, this time against his own will, let's just say I wasn't as "relived" as they thought I was. I thought back to the doctor's genuine smile and felt sick with rage.

'I will kill that woman in a way that would make Zack sick to his stomach. I will watch the life drain from her corpse as light fades from her eyes. Her face will be permanently frozen in terror, long after her body has been shredded.'

A flicker  in the corner of the room distracted me from my inner rant of hate.

'Was that a shadow?'

I walked over to the small table against the wall of my desk and opened the drawer where I kept it safely wrapped in cloth.

'He gave me this for a reason. I won't let anyone near me before him.'

Brandishing Zack's knife, I stood facing the window with anticipation.

"Rachel."

'Wait, what? Did I just hear Ami's voice in my head?'

"Indeed you did, Ray. Now I need you to do exactly as I say if you want your surprise, got it?"

'Okay. What do I need to do?'

"First, block your door with anything you can find. Hurry! We don't have long."

'Okay.'

I walked back over to the desk. Gripping the bottom tightly, I pulled with all my strength to no avail. I check between the back of the desk and the wall but it was nailed strongly to it.

'Okay, that won't work.'

My eyes scanned the room, searching for anything useful. They landed on a stack of crates against the wall near the door.

Moving quickly, I ran to the stack and squeezed between them and the wall. Bracing myself, I shoved all my weight into the base crates.

The whole stack came crashing down in front of the door. Normally, I would have cared about the noise, but I had bigger problems.

'What else can I use? Those boxes aren't very heavy.'

Searching again, my eyes landed on the small chair near the desk.

"Tick tock, Ray. He won't wait long."

That put even more speed to my movements as I grabbed the chair.

Using all my force, I smashed the chair against the wall, sending wood everywhere. One of the legs clattered to the floor.

Sweeping up the small object, I ran to the door and slid the wood through the handle.

"Good job! Now-" 

"Ray, get back!"

'That voice!'

My body jolted into action, following the orders from it's real master with impossible speed.

Just as I turned back to the window, I heard pounding on the barricaded door.

"Rachel, what's going on in there?! We just got news that Isaac has escaped! You need to come out now!" I heard my therapist shout through the door.

"I can't do that! My stay here has been completed." I wouldn't unlock that door if my life depended on it.

Which it did.

The banging on the door didn't stop but I didn't care.

I raced back to the window for a split second to draw the curtain back.

"MOVE DAMMIT!"

I leapt back to my original spot as his blade sliced through the layers of iron and glass separating us like paper. Both substances flew into the room, missing me by a hair.

A form crouched on my windowsill cast a long shadow into the room.

Shaggy black hair swayed in the wind with his hood, only secured by a line of gauze wrapping around his head. The pale moonlight gleamed off the scythe slung over his shoulder.

Those beautiful mismatched eyes stared into mine, the black one reading my soul like a picture book while the amber one boar into my heart.

"Hey, Ray. Miss me?"