Minski

"I'm so sorry for your loss," the old lady handed Silasque some salad that she had made, "I know nothing can take away the blow, but here's some salad."

Normally, Silasque would've refused, but she was no longer concerned about what she was supposed to do. The line between reality and fear began to blur until the two worlds merged into one. Daphne hadn't passed the Test. She was gone. The blunt force of the reality of what had happened hit Silasque head-on. Her breath quickened and Silasque barely acknowledged the bowl of salad the old lady had brought. She barely noticed her mother coming to the door and thanking the old lady. Her mother invited the old lady in and began to close the door, but Silasque stopped her. As she looked around the house, everything reminded her of Daphne, everything was whispering Daphne's name to her. And as she looked at her mother, she could see Daphne in her too, the brilliant amber eyes and the long brown hair. So she ran out the door onto the streets. She ignored her mother calling her name as her grief turned into anger. She knew her mother needed her, she knew they needed each other, but she didn't care. She knew it was selfish of her, but right now she just didn't care.

After running blindly through the streets, Silasque eventually found herself in an alleyway. As she reached the end of the alleyway, she just didn't have the strength to turn around and go back home. So instead, she sat down and cried and cried and cried. It was hours later when Silasque had no more tears left to shed. And it was only then did she realize she had broken quite a few laws. Running through the streets, being out after dark, and acting on the death of a loved one who didn't pass the Test. The stupid Test. Her fear of the Test had turned into hatred. She felt bitter. She hated the people who administered the Test. She hated the people who let the Test happen. But wouldn't that be everyone? Silasque sighed. It wasn't healthy to hold grudges anyway.

Suddenly, someone's breath tickled against her neck. Silasque screamed and almost jumped up.

"Sorry," Silasque heard a voice say, "I didn't mean to startle you."

The voice, Silasque guessed, belonged to a girl around her age. She was almost afraid to look up and find its owner staring down at her.

"Um hi?" Silasque peeked up, making out a girl hanging upside down dressed in all black with a bandana tied around her head to keep her hair back, "How long have you been there and who are you?"

"My name's Minski! What's yours? And I've, um, been here for a while, " The girl grinned sheepishly, "Could you by any chance untie me? Being upside down is making me woozy."

"Silasque," Silasque stood up, her whole body feeling stiff from staying in a hunched position for too long.

Rope was coiled all around Minski, binding her hands to her sides and her feet together. Silasque walked around Minski, trying to find an end to the rope, or a place where she could start to untie her from.

As soon as Minski was on the ground standing on two feet again, she rushed at Silasque and wrapped her in a big bear hug. This took Silasque by surprise and it took her a second before she returned the hug.

"That's for untying me and for whatever you were crying about," Minski smiled warmly and took Silasque's hands in hers, "And I hope you feel better!"

Minski didn't ask what Silasque was crying about, and she didn't pity her. Silasque appreciated that.

"So how did you get...up there?" Silasque pointed to where Minski had been hanging earlier.

"Oh, that, right, soooo," Minski blushed, grinning mischievously, "I was trying to sneak into that building and accidentally activated one of the traps. And thank goodness you came! Otherwise, I wouldn't just be charged with trying to break in, but I'd also be charged with violating the dress code, being out after dark, and wasting materials. Apparently you can get charged for activating a trap in addition to your intentions because of them having to use more materials to make another trap and all. It's all ridiculous."

Silasque didn't know what to say. This girl spoke so...freely.

"So yeah. I wore black so that I would blend in after dark. Little did I know I would get caught before dark. I can only be grateful no one noticed me dangling there in the alleyway. Oh, wait! Roger might've! You know, the bald dude who runs the bakery."

This girl also talked. A lot.

"Anyway, what's your story?"

But Silasque had to admire her. This girl didn't agree with society and she was able to do all this stuff, like breaking in. She had the courage Silasque never did.

"You know, my mother says I'm hopeless," Minski said after Silasque remained silent.

Silasque laughed at that, "I don't really have a story."

"Wow, you just like totally shut down and closed up," Minski looked at Silasque seriously.

"My sister...didn't pass," Silasque looked away, refusing to meet Minski's eyes. She had cried herself out, but that didn't mean every part of her didn't still scream grief. And that grief turned to anger, and then revenge, but she had refused to feel the latter.

Minski looked concerned, but she knew offering her condolences was the last thing Silasque needed. So she took Silasque's hand in hers, "Come on, I'll walk with you to your house."

Silasque nodded numbly and told Minski where she lived. The two walked home together in silence.