The Blessings Book

The Blessings Book

"I have a proposition, Ms. Conaway."  Dr. Lorell began, folding his hands over the desk.  He adjusted his glasses and peered at Caroline curiously.  "I've been meaning to try this, and now I finally have the opportunity."

Caroline did not have a clue as to what her professor was speaking of.  Instead of replying, she stared blankly at him and waiting for him to continue.

"For extra credit, I would like for you to compose a blessings book."

"A what?"

"A blessings book.  In order to pass my class, you must record your every blessing, everything your thankful for, in a notebook, and then write a short paper describing what you learned."

"That's it?"  Caroline had suspected something much more difficult, perhaps a very meticulous research paper at least.

"That is all."  Dr. Lorell shuffled some papers across his desk and straightened them into one large pile.  "Seems appropriate for the Thanksgiving season."  He smiled briefly then glanced up at his pupil.  

Caroline nodded.  "Okay . . . thanks for your time."  She rose from her chair and began on her way toward the exit.

While she was halfway down the hall, she heard the old man's voice echo through the halls.  "I hope you learn something valuable through this assignment."

"Yeah," Caroline mumbled.  "I'll try not to fail another class so I don't have to waste my time on extra credit.  Thank you very much, Professor Lorell."

 When Caroline thrust her body through the door, she nearly knocked over a startled Ingrid.  "Sorry."

"That was fast," Ingrid remarked as replaced her hand-knitted hat.  "What'd he say?"

"He said I have to write a blessing book or some crap."

"What does that mean?"

"I have to write down everything I'm thankful for over the next couple weeks."

"Are you kidding me?  That's great!  It'll be so easy."

Caroline bit her lip as she gazed out across the campus.  Some students were dashing about wildly, pelting snowballs at one other and cheering triumphantly when they'd stricken their target.  Others simply stirred clear of such childish games and bolted swiftly through the turmoil in order to attend class on time.

"I'm not so sure anymore."

"Oh come on, there are lots of things to be thankful for."

"Like what?  My nutty family?  The stupid weather?  Oh, how about my car with the broken heater and ripped leather seats?"

"I don't believe you."  Ingrid glared coldly at her complaintive friend.  "I can't believe how much you take for granted."

"What, with--"

"Shut up!  You shut up right now!"

Caroline rose a brow, her eyes lingering for nearby people who may have heard Ingrid's outburst.  Stop being embarrassing, she wanted to say, but she knew better to say this to her friend who was obviously very frustrated with Caroline's attitude.

"Come."  Ingrid clasped Caroline's hand and tugged her toward the dorms.  "You have no idea how good you have it, Caroline Conaway."