𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

"Hey, isn't that your friend?" Ollie says from across the table. We've been seated, both Ollie and Ruby sucking Coke through their straws. I've opted for water, and keep eyeing the salt shaker wondering if anybody would see me pour just a little bit in. "The one with quite a lot of character? I forget her name—"

"Claire," I say quietly, looking at the table full of kids from school. "That's her, yeah." She's huddled up against JW, which isn't unusual. What is, though, is that she has a cup full of Sprite. Claire hates soda, saying it's too "spicy" because it fizzes in her mouth. JW usually uses it for his mixed drinks though, and realization dawns on me. I watch has she sneakily shoves the bottle of alcohol in her purse as an older couple walks past. Claire has always been the more reckless of the two of us, but lately her decisions have gotten a little more rash.

Ruby looks up from her drink, eyeing the table momentarily. "Hm, they seem to be having a lot of fun. Wonder why you weren't invited."

"I was," I say, trying not to sound snoody, but also standing my ground. "I just wasn't in the mood."

Ruby is suddenly looking at me, her hazel eyes squinted. "Funny. I'm always in the mood to get drunk." She says it blatantly, even with the waitress standing over us asking for our orders.

When the waitress leaves Ollie hisses, "Why'd you say that, Rue? We could get in a lot of trouble. You're like, 14."

"We didn't, though." She fiddles with a curl, unbothered. "Loosen up, both of you. And I am not 14."

I used to be loose, I think to myself. Last summer and throughout the school year I'd go to parties and get totally wasted. But then I grew a mermaid tail, and things changed.

"So, uh, Rue? It's a cute nickname." I say, trying to loosen the tension. It works for Ollie, but not for Ruby. She glances at the floor.

"Yeah, everybody calls her Rue." Ollie says. I think back to the time she'd introduced herself as Ruby. Why hadn't she said Rue instead?

She must be reading my mind, because she immediately answers my unasked question. "Only people I like call me Rue."

"Rue—" Ollie starts.

She shrugs and I can see the faint little smirk on her lips. "It's the truth. I can't hide it."

The waitress brings us our meals. We all eat in an awkward silence.

"So, having fun?" I jumped at Claire's voice, not even inches from me. I hadn't seen her coming this way.

"Hi, Claire." I hope for the best—that maybe she doesn't make a scene right here and now, but can't be sure.

She smiles, looking down at my plate. "I thought you were staying in tonight? You didn't feel like going out." She steals one of my fries, knowing I hate it whenever anyone touches my food.

I put on a forced smile. "I know, but I changed my mind."

She nods, and then steps away. "I see. We'll talk later." Her nails click on her cup of Sprite. "Hope y'all have fun." She says this to Ollie and Ruby, not to me.

"Oof." Ruby's eyes widen as she watches Claire strut back to her seat. "That's not good."

"Oof," I repeat. I pluck at my fish, having no motivation to eat it. Probably because I am part fish. "Hey, um, excuse me?" I call to the waitress passing by. "There's nothing wrong with this but, uh, can I get some chicken tenders instead?"

><>     ><>     ><>

By the time I get home it's dark out. Dad is sitting at the TV with his feet propped on the coffee table. "Where've you been?" He's trying to sound nonchalant, but I can hear the nervousness in his voice.