Chapter 2

During the flight thoughts ran through Marie's mind, a bit anxious and unsure of what she would say first to her mother. Mariah on the other hand, looked calm. Interesting to see the slight shift of emotion towards the situation from her. As they landed and approached the uber Mariah and Marie stayed quiet. Eventually breaking the silence the closer they got Marie said,

"So how are you feeling? Excited? Anxious?"

"Ecstatic" Mariah said sarcastically.

As they get out of the uber they see the gravel leading up to a long driveway and garage. The house was dusty orange but still had a significance of elegance to it, with the fountain and gated decorations. The twins stood out front of the driveway for a while in silence, admiring the house.

"Okay let's go" Mariah said pulling Marie.

Marie's hands begins to shake as she reaches to ring the doorbell.

'Ding dong'

As the two stand waiting for an answer. Mariah still seemed calm, while Marie looked as if she was on top of the Empire State Building looking down.

"Hello" a lady with a welcoming smile answered. She had brown short hair and was slim and tall.

"Hi uh, we are looking for May... Fernandez" Marie said barely able to get the words out.

"Oh that would be me, how can I help you ladies"

"We were just here to say- to ask. Well we were just wondering if by any chance"

"- I'm Mariah this is Marie, we came to talk to you." Mariah rudely interrupted Marie.

"Oh." The smile on May's face faints, "Come in, come in" she said opening the door.

The inside was even better than the outside. Grey walls, with a white diamond chandelier, flowers all over the piano. The twins immediately went back into awe looking around.

"Well this is a nice way to live" said Mariah, once again sarcastic.

"You guys traveled up here alone?" May questioned.

"Yes, yes we did" Marie exclaims proudly.

"Wow that's exciting how was your flight?" May asked.

"It was nice I guess, the clouds were"

"-Look we came here to ask why you gave us up for adoption and never came back for us. By the looks of it you got your life well together, so" Mariah said interrupting Marie.

"Well" May clears her throat, turning quite red, "Girls, at the time I was young and not ready I knew you guys deserved more than I had to offer. I decided adoption was best so you guys could live a better life which I see you guys are doing well. I thought about it everyday honestly, but it would be rude of me me intrude in your lives. I don't expect you guys to understand, I understand the frustration but I truly never stopped thinking about you girls, it was a hard decision."

Silence fills the air, and the three stare at each other.

"Well Marie there's our answer time to go" Mariah starts walking towards the door until May interrupted them,

"You guys can stay for dinner if you'd like, I'm so happy your here you don't have to leave in such a hurry"

"Mariah, please. You said we could give it a shot" Marie pleaded.

Mariah began rolling her eyes and walking towards the living room with May and Marie.

"You guys can make yourself at home, watch tv, browse the house whatever you want while I'm making dinner. Do you guys like Sheppard's pie?" May asked.