Chapter 17: New Year

We often look back at everything we've forgotten to do. Things we wanted to do but never came around to doing. We tend to forget about al the things we've accomplished. We forget to just let loose. We often don't have time to just breath. And we don't know what we want. There are aspects of life where we don't give them attention or we're too scared to cross the border.

Meredith, Leo, and I pulled into the driveway of the Curtis house. We got out of the car and walked up the steps. Knocking on the door. It was around six in the afternoon. It was dark outside and very cold. Steve oppened the door.

"Elena, Meredith, Leo. Glad you guys could make it. Come in." He said as he stepped aside, opening the door wider for us to come in. I smiled.

"Hey guys how's it going?" I asked as I greated everyone. "This is my older brother Leo." I said as I introduced him to everyone.

"You guys look alike." Two said.

"No we don't." Both Leo and I said. Quickly bursting into laughter after. Soda stood next to Meredith.

"Uh. Guys. This is Meredith. My girlfriend." Soda said.

It was silent.

Awkward silent.

"I, forgot the apple pie in the car. Mer why don't you come with me?" I said as i walked out. Mer followed behind me.

"I don't think they'll like me. I'm too dark and twisty. Sodapop is a happy person. I'm the whole opposite."

"Which is exactly why you two are perfect. Mer. He loves you. I see it in the way he looks at you. The way his eyes light up when you walk in the room. How he looks back and dreads you leaving. Even if it's just to go to the bathroom. The way he smiles when you smile. How his mood completely changes when he hears your name or your voice. You two are perfect. He shows you positivity. You show him how realistic the world is. It balances out. He loves you. And so will his brothers. Steve tells me that Soda has never been as happy as he is with you. Trust me. He loves you." I said.

She sighed.

"I hope.." she said.

We walked back in the house. Dallas and Leo were talking. I imagined they would get along pretty well. "So. You're Meredith?" Darry asked as I placed the pie on the table. Meredith shyly nodded.

"Well. I hope you really are just like Sodapop described you." He said.

Meredith smiled. "Well, it depends on what he's said about me." She said smiling.

"Yeah, you're just like he described." Darry smiled.

• 🦋 •

We gathered around the table. It was ten and we were all getting hungrier by the minute. We drinked some wine and alcohol. "Do you guys want tequila?" Steve asked.

"You guys have tequila?" I asked.

"Yes." He answered.

"And you're telling me now that I'm on my third wine glass?" I asked.

"Don't worry I'll drive home." Leo said.

Steve handed me the bottle. "Mer. Want some?" I asked already knowing the answer.

"You already know it." She smiled as she handed me her glass.

• 🦋 •

"Okay guys the countdown is on!" Darry cheered as we all circled around the tv.

"Five... four... three... two... one... happy New year!" We all cheered. I turned and immediately hugged Meredith. Meredith turned around and kissed Sodapop. Leo came up to me and hugged me, placing a soft kiss on my forehead.

"Ti amo stupida. Felice anno nuovo." Leo said.

"Dai, Leo! Non chiamarmi così!" I said annoyed.
Leo laughed and pulled away.

I turned and Steve was infront of me, holding a bottle of beer. I smiled and so did he. We both embraced eachother in a soft, warm hug. "Happy new year Doll." He said.

"Happy new year Bello." I said we both pulled away. But for some reason his hand was still on my waist.

Was this it?

The moment I've been waiting for?

The moment where he places a hand on my face, pulls me into a never ending, passionate kiss, and tells me to never worry, because our love is pure?

Is this the moment where we get lost in eachother's breath, because we're too caught up tasting eachother's lips?

No. It's not.

"Happy new year." Sodapop said to me. I sighed and snapped back to reality, smiling.

We get too caught up in one's fantasy, to realize what goes on around us. So we decide to change things up. The expected is what keeps us steady. It's the unexpected that changes our lives forever. Change, we don't like it. We fear it but we can't stop it from coming. We either adapt to change or we get left behind. And it hurts to grow. Anyone who tells you it doesn't is lying. But here's the truth. The more things change, the more they stay the same. And sometimes, just sometimes, change is good. Sometimes, change is everything...