Honey Boys in the Snow

In the morning, he greets me with kisses. Small, little, sweet things on the tip of my nose, cheeks, forehead, and occasionally brushing past my lips. He brushed stray curls out of my face, twists my hair around his fingers. I like to pretend I'm still sleeping so he doesn't know I'm awake, though I know that he knows I'm awake. He's mentioned it before, that my breathing changes when I'm awake.

I just laughed and drank whatever drink I had that morning, be it tea or coffee. I don't remember, nor particularly care to remember.

That was what I woke up to this morning. I kept my eyes closed for a few minutes, listening to John's breathes and keeping back a smile as he kissed my nose sweetly. He was so sweet.

"Good morning, Alexander," he whispered after a moment. My eyes fluttered open and I smiled softly at him.

"Good morning, J."

He sat up, fumbling with the ribbon in his hair, which was tied into a braid. "Let's get breakfast, hm?"

"That sounds lovely," I said, sitting up as well and following him when he got up and went into the kitchen. Outside the window, there was silence. The birds weren't singing anymore. I frowned.

"We don't have much. We should go into the market today," John said, looking back at me.

"Alright. We can go after we finish eating, how does that sound?" I asked. I walked up to him and kissed his cheek, then went into the living space, finding a match and striking it. I lit a fire in the fireplace and sat by it, while John cooked for the both of us.

I listened intently, hoping to hear the birds chirping happily and plucking worms out of the soft soil. I heard none of that this morning. When I looked out the window, I could see a light snow falling onto the ground, with the sun rising, casting a light across the snow, causing it to sparkle.

Usually, the birds sing to calm me down. I like it. It's pretty. Soft, chirping to wake up to.

Now, it's not the case.

I looked up when I heard John's footsteps. He sat down next to me with a plate of eggs for the both of us. We ate in silence, listening to the fire crackle and pop. I leaned against John, setting my fork down to let him know I was done. He gave a soft him, finishing the food, then getting up to put the plate away.

I got up from the floor and went into the room we shared, opening the dresser and beginning to get dressed. John walked in as I was buttoning my shirt, smiled softly, then began to get dressed as well. I pulled on my breeches and stockings, then found a pair of shoes and clicked the snap, standing up straight.

Our coats were hanging up in the closet, so I pulled them out and handed John his, then buttoned my own. We found our hats, then went outside.

I shivered at the cold, even with my layers of clothing. I felt like I still wasn't used to the cold in America, nor would I ever be used to it. I missed to warm sun back home.

I waited on the porch for John to lead the horses out of the small stable by the cabin. The horses whinnied and neighed, tapping the ground with their hooves. I went over to my horse, pet it's cheek, then climbed onto it, shifting in the saddle to get comfortable.

"Ready to go?" John asked, and I nodded.

"Of course I am," I said with a sideways smile.

—-

After a while of riding, we arrived in town. John and I tied our horses to a fence post, then went into the marketplace.

It was surprisingly busy for a winter morning, a light chatter strewn about. Women with children bundled in blankets buying food to prepare dinner for the night, men chatting with each other about whatever the latest news was. A dog ran in the middle of the street, barking and wagging its tail happily. A young child, underdressed for the weather, chased after it with a laugh. The tip of his nose and cheeks were red from the cold, his skin pale.