Chapter 56

ℤ𝕒𝕟𝕖

The county permit office may very well be my least favorite place in town. The space is cramped with a ceiling so low it feels like the room is slowly collapsing on you. The walls are painted in a color I can only imagine is called 'Depressing Corporate Beige' and employees are separated by cramped cubicles. It looks like a warehouse where they store miserable government workers.

I'm here for another operating license for one of my commercial buildings in town. I look at my numbered ticket: 431. They're currently calling 380.

Bloody hell.

I consider charming my way to the front of the line, but it doesn't feel fair to everyone else here.

Damn.

In a way, dealing with a human problem like this is almost comforting right now---if only to get a break from the Immortal drama. Between the mark and Kami and living in a town infested with demons, it's kind of nice to be able to get irritated over waiting in line. It's one of the most normal-boring-human things you can possibly do, like complaining when Starbucks spells your name wrong.

An odd sensation pulls my focus. I feel a cold spot on my neck and chills run down my spine.

What the hell was that?

I would assume it was the mark if I didn't know Ava was asleep in bed.

The sensation grows, dozens of soft touches along my neck—almost as if Ava were kissing me.

She's not.

She can't be.

I feel more light touches on my neck and shoulders. This time I'm certain it feels like lips to my skin.

I'm suddenly drowning in panic at the possibility that Ava could be with another man right now.

Okay, I'm officially fucking insane.

Ava is not cheating on you, you idiot.

My mind floods with images of another man kissing her, touching her. I try to shake off the thought and focus on literally anything else.

A tight feeling around my wrist and then the other has me distracted again---it's as if someone is grabbing my arms.

My chest begins to tighten and I feel a panic rising in me.

I flash back to memories of gripping her wrists and holding them above her head while I...

WHAT THE FUCK.

Without even thinking I bolt out of my seat and head to my car at lightning speed.

This can't be happening. Ava wouldn't do this to me. She wouldn't.

What about that guy she was seeing, Dave?

Stop it. No.

Dave is fucking your girl, touching her, kissing her—right now.

I let out a frustrated growl and tug aggressively at my hair, as if I could pull out the intrusive thoughts.

I slam my foot on the gas pedal and peel out of the parking lot.

What about that blond nurse: Trevor?

Bloody hell. Why am I doing this to myself?

Is Nurse Trevor playing doctor with Ava?

Fuck off.

Are they in your bed?

"God fucking damn it!" I scream.